New wood hauler! Just picked up an old school 5 wheel gator!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finally made the maiden voyage to the woods!

Just to say I tried it once I made the trek to my 13 acre woodlot about 6 miles away with the old school gator... Just as the math would indicate it took me about 25 minutes to get there averaging around 13 mph. The fun part was "flying" past my 2 brothers house "at speed". There's a lot of time for posing at that speed! Half the adventure was seeing if I'd make it with this old gal as it is a 1986 model AMT 600 john deere. I'd love to upgrade to a newer faster model but after shopping ebay and craigslist it would take at least 3+ grand extra to gain a couple mph top speed(without 4 wheel drive!). Don't let the surface rust fool you... This old rig runs great! I was glad to see the original tires with a little Slime(TM) and good knobbies still make it through.
My favorite part about this old beast is that I would never be able to justify the cash for such a toy at this point in my life to own a piece of equipment such as this with 2 young kids and and a house that needs the funds to make it just right for us in the long run. Buying on credit is what got this country into the mess we're in(but I digress) Cheers to a fun craigslist find. My only regret is that I didn't snap the picture of it loaded with ash. And I will totally agree that it doesn't turn for shat with a full load! Hopefully I can snap some pics in the future with the young ones loading it when the skeeters subside a bit.

downsized_0628112000.jpg

Upgrade? To a newer, faster model?
Heck man, that there is "newer" than any "toy" or piece of equipment I own... and I've got a regular fleet of small engine stuff. I've got a three-wheeled Harley golf cart we use a a utility vehicle, it's a 1974 model and built like a tank, and I only gave a 100 dollar bill for it. My old Sears/Craftsman tractor/wood hauler was made in the late 60's, and it's built better than a tank, traded an old shotgun for it (and I've been abusing it for over twenty years)... Even my current grass cutting John Deere is older than your Gator I think.

I like old stuff... stuff made back when things were intended to be fixed when they broke. When you look at old iron, or start working on them, you find that everything was designed to be service or fixed... often with standard parts you can still buy at "old school" hardware stores. I just put a new piston in that old Harley golf cart (two-cycle), didn't need a single special tool, all the bolts, nuts, brackets and other hardware could have been replaced at any hardware store; even the points and condenser are a match to old Chevy 6-cylinder... it don't get any simpler than that... and only took less than half a day to do the job.

But, if'n you're set on upgrading to a "newer & faster" model? Give me a shout, I'll haul that old one away for ya'... looks brand new to me... and looks like a ton-o-fun.

Last edited:
I've been on the hunt for another one to add to the fleet. The nicest thing about them, is they don't leave ruts... Oh, and if my 11 year old sqwawks cause it's too slow? It's just right. :msp_tongue: Good to see you're still enjoying your classic Deere!

finally made the maiden voyage to the woods!

Just to say I tried it once I made the trek to my 13 acre woodlot about 6 miles away with the old school gator... Just as the math would indicate it took me about 25 minutes to get there averaging around 13 mph. The fun part was "flying" past my 2 brothers house "at speed". There's a lot of time for posing at that speed! Half the adventure was seeing if I'd make it with this old gal as it is a 1986 model AMT 600 john deere. I'd love to upgrade to a newer faster model but after shopping ebay and craigslist it would take at least 3+ grand extra to gain a couple mph top speed(without 4 wheel drive!). Don't let the surface rust fool you... This old rig runs great! I was glad to see the original tires with a little Slime(TM) and good knobbies still make it through.
My favorite part about this old beast is that I would never be able to justify the cash for such a toy at this point in my life to own a piece of equipment such as this with 2 young kids and and a house that needs the funds to make it just right for us in the long run. Buying on credit is what got this country into the mess we're in(but I digress) Cheers to a fun craigslist find. My only regret is that I didn't snap the picture of it loaded with ash. And I will totally agree that it doesn't turn for shat with a full load! Hopefully I can snap some pics in the future with the young ones loading it when the skeeters subside a bit.

downsized_0628112000.jpg
I know this is an old thread, but I need to ask a question of any fellow gator owners. I have a AMT 626 i bought for $500. Have used it for the last 2 firewood seasons so far, it is doing very well. I am amazed at what it can haul. It has the mechanical dual caliper disk brakes on the back axle only. Where can I find brake pads for it? I can adjust them and they work, but they are crappy brakes. ANyone know if there is an aftermarket hydraulic brake that can be retrofitted?

I know this is an old thread, but I need to ask a question of any fellow gator owners. I have a AMT 626 i bought for $500. Have used it for the last 2 firewood seasons so far, it is doing very well. I am amazed at what it can haul. It has the mechanical dual caliper disk brakes on the back axle only. Where can I find brake pads for it? I can adjust them and they work, but they are crappy brakes. ANyone know if there is an aftermarket hydraulic brake that can be retrofitted?
Easiest/cheapest thing I can think of would be to get a used hydraulic brake setup off of a four wheeler...
Just an FYI, I have know idea how well it would fit or work, but Yamaha Blaster fourwheelers used a mechanical disc setup like that, maybe it would retrofit and work better? They didn't work too bad on the Blasters...if everything was right. I bet there is someone making an aftermarket retrofit kit for the Blasters, there were TONS of 'em sold!

Yeah, I know about the Blasters, we have 2 of them. Too small of a caliper for the Gator.

There was a guy selling bolt on kits on eBay but they are pricey too. Around $600 if I remember correctly. I actually finally sold my beloved ole 5 wheeler for a good deal on an '04 4x2 gator. Ill miss the 4 wheel drive but I sure get there faster. And my passengers are getting bigger too! Luckily the youngest has his own:)
image.jpg

Hedgerow,

Joined the site primarily to ask you a question - have my eye on a used but not abused 4x5 626. Bought a cheap Dakota to facilitate picking it up, and banking on my eyeball measurement that the bed (essentially 50 × 78) will be big enough to haul the AMT without a trailer. Good gamble???

20160525_092335.jpg

I got a 626 with no engine for 75 bucks, went to pick it up with my 8' dump trailer. I couldn't believe it barley fit. My trailer is 62" wide and we had to let air out of the tires to get them to squish in, and the drive on ramp would not close. We had to put a cable jack on the ramp and tie it up. The guy I bought it from built a hydraulic brake system for his. He used Chrysler mini van rotors, I forget what master cylinder he used. I was thinking about taking the front wheel off and mount a 2" ball coupler to it and making a trailer out of it for my JD 265 mower. I could make a hand brake with a plug in and have brakes on the trailer, Joe.

To be specific to your question, no I don't think you can get it on the Dak. I couldn't close the gate on my 8' trailer, and the hubs scraped on the sides of the trailer. This is the trailer it just fit in and it's a lot bigger than a Dak bed, Joe.

Hedgerow,

Joined the site primarily to ask you a question - have my eye on a used but not abused 4x5 626. Bought a cheap Dakota to facilitate picking it up, and banking on my eyeball measurement that the bed (essentially 50 × 78) will be big enough to haul the AMT without a trailer. Good gamble???

View attachment 505157
Won't fit..

Those old AMT's are wider than they appear.

Like real wide.

Had one at the farm I use to be setup at. Was a beast, could pull just about anything.

If they handle anything like my 6x4, steering sucks when loaded as the front end come up and uloads the wheels. Im pretty sure they share similar transmission setups in that the brakes are inside and "wet". Nasty and expensive job. Otherwise a very handy toy to have at your disposal. Nice score and I know from experience that it will be months if not years before you run out of excuses to use it!
Brake is a disc for the rear, the rears are chained together. I forget if the front has a brake, I don't think it did. Been a while.

16 ain't bad!!! Mine tops out at 15... That motor can be changed out with a 13 HP Harbor freight unit. for about $299... (with minor modification):msp_rolleyes: That's what I did with mine when the Kawasaki finally gave up the ghost. Oh, and good luck trying to overload it!!! Have fun bro! Deere rep sent!

Any chance you have a write-up and pictures on the harbor freight swap?
My JD AMT 600 is getting tired and would love to get some more life out of it

I don't remember anyone doing a write up. I bought mine for $75 with no engine. I was planning on swapping in the 6hp with a centrifugal clutch just for hauling mulch and firewood around the house. Kind of changed my mind. I think I'm going to cut the front end off and put a ball hitch on it and make a dump trailer to pull behind my JD 265, Joe.

Latest posts

Back