Id this little tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunfoolio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It started growing in between 2 wood stacks. I could use a tree there. Should I keep him and what is he?

Attachments

• 20160528_105034.jpg
    20160528_105034.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
Was kind of thinking Chestnut, but not sure where your wood stacks are located.

Looks like Chestnut. I was just now surveying our garden and property with my wonderful wife, when I looked at our Chestnut tree and said - "Hey, I think that's Chestnut!" (referring to this thread which I saw earlier but didn't comment). She thought I was talking about the tree in front of me and was being rather stupid, considering we've lived here for 17 years.

A little closer. Thank you for your help

I was thinking Chestnut at first but may be an Allegheny or Ozark Chinkapin. The teeth look too sharp for Chinkapin Oak.
Any chance of getting a close up?

Attachments

• 20160531_111743.jpg
    20160531_111743.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
I looked at some pictures of chestnut on line and I think that is the winner. Which variety I have no idea. Thank you for your help

Are you sure about the American chestnet? I thought they were mostly gone. This tree is only like 2 years old. Won't it die soon due to the fungus?

Are you sure about the American chestnet? I thought they were mostly gone. This tree is only like 2 years old. Won't it die soon due to the fungus?
I believe the problem starts once it get large enough that fissures develop in the bark. Most are not mature enough at this point to produce nuts but there are few isolated examples. This may be due to an inherent resistance or simply that it was never exposed. It's much more likely it's a Chinese Chestnut - are there any in your area?

I've got 2 chestnut trees in my yard. Rather stilted/perverted things compared to what they are supposed to look like, but I sold the nuts last year for a decent price.

Latest posts

Back