8 bucks, for a bundle??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This showed up in town today.
8bucks.jpg
Now, take into consideration that 2 doors up is a gas station sellin' bundles at $3.99, and the other end of town is a little pricier at $5 a bundle. I should have taken a picture of the bundles, didn't look much bigger than mine and a lot looser.

They are offering a 25% discount for buying in bulk. $32 worth of wood for $24

The fellow on here with the vender machine gets $20 a bundle down in Texass!

Buy 3, 4th is free. Ok, that brings the cost down to $6.oo each. 50 yards up at the conoco you get get my bundles from Jeff for $3.99 ea. it looks like he is leaving it there for awhile, I might pull out a tape measure and a camera and do the comparison.

It just seems to me that if I was gonna do the trailer thing, I would park the trailer somewhere outta sight and go price checking around town, then decide what you could "get" and the best place to park the thing.

Yeah, if people were really into price shopping retail would be turned on it's pin head.

Home Despot used to sell a small hand tool for prepping grout lines on tile. It was made in USA from a known brand of tile tools and sold for $6.97 They stopped selling them and replaced them with a copy made in China and sold under the store brand for $14.97 That is but one example of the rip-off they have become.

People that buy from the trailer don't even know that the gas station sells firewood, they see the trailer, get the urge to have a romantic fire that evening and buy a bundle or three. If the trailer put up a sign that said "Better than gas station wood" they could sell even more bundles simply because some people want to think they are buying the best. If the sign said "Better wood at a better value than gas station wood" sales would go up even higher.

I myself would buy a billboard down the street that said "Firewood bundles at the gas station $4.99":rock:

The fellow on here with the vender machine gets $20 a bundle down in Texass!

No, we get $11.75 a bundle...they are 2 cuft bags but you can only fit about 1.3cuft in a bag.... all "bundles" are not created equal....I have found that most .75 cuft bundles at gas stations and the like are really .6 to .65 and We are also the sole seller inside state parks so we have a greater ability to charge for convenience...just as gas stations sell soda for $2.00 but if you get a 6 pack at the grocery store it is far less per bottle

No, we get $11.75 a bundle...they are 2 cuft bags but you can only fit about 1.3cuft in a bag.... all "bundles" are not created equal....I have found that most .75 cuft bundles at gas stations and the like are really .6 to .65 and We are also the sole seller inside state parks so we have a greater ability to charge for convenience...just as gas stations sell soda for $2.00 but if you get a 6 pack at the grocery store it is far less per bottle

I was exaggerating a bit although your numbers don't jive either.

You said you make $1400 a cord. 1.3 cu ft is about 100 bundles per cord (same as what I sell, though I call mine a generous 1 cu/ft). That would be $14 a bundle, not $11.75

Yeah the gas station bundles are almost a joke. I bought one to compare. Cost me $5.18. 10.4lbs of wood. My bundle I grabbed out of the pile, 20lbs of wood. Both dry spruce, both supposed to be 1 cu ft, both about $5. HMMMMM.

I'm making birch & poplar bundles now, they are almost 40lbs each, granted the birch isn't seasoned yet though.

I was exaggerating a bit although your numbers don't jive either.

You said you make $1400 a cord. 1.3 cu ft is about 100 bundles per cord (same as what I sell, though I call mine a generous 1 cu/ft). That would be $14 a bundle, not $11.75

Yeah the gas station bundles are almost a joke. I bought one to compare. Cost me $5.18. 10.4lbs of wood. My bundle I grabbed out of the pile, 20lbs of wood. Both dry spruce, both supposed to be 1 cu ft, both about $5. HMMMMM.

I'm making birch & poplar bundles now, they are almost 40lbs each, granted the birch isn't seasoned yet though.

Little bit off...I said we sold $1400 worth of firewood last weekend not sold a cord for $1400........So yes 1.3 Cuft is about 98.5 bundles and I rounded up....So to make sure, I have repeatedly stacked exactly 128 Cuft of wood and counted bundles and always get 98 to 101- so $1150 to 1186 per cord for big bags....I sell small bags and get $6.75 a bag and get 190 bags a cord...so that is about $1280 a cord...but I don't sell as much of that...so I was pretty confident that $1200 a cord is a good average....and yes ...it is over priced but nearby Grocery stores sell it for that or more....and I am the only seller on park properties....so it does nicely. I have toyed with other price points but even when I drop it by a dollar or more...there is not a lot of change in the number of bags sold......I also Have a big sign on the front that lists my phone number for questions and complaints.....and I ask the Park Rangers every week for feedback and we have had no negative responses.

I think it's time to raise your price and see what happens. No sense leaving money on the table if you can put it in your pocket.

Our hardwood bundles of firewood at stores go for about $10--$12 a bundle CAD.
I sell softwood campfire wood each year for $5 a 40lb pellet bag and they sell out almost as fast as I post them.
I usually sell about 75 to 150 bags a year.
Same softwood at gas stations goes for $7-$10 for a much smaller bag.

Back