Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421

• Husqvarna 450

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Dolmar 421

Votes: 48 73.8%

• Total voters
My father currently has the 421 that I had and muff modded.... That's still in the two year warranty period and never had any issues....can't tell it's been modded other than sound and how good it pulls in wood.... All I did was remove cat from inside muffler

I'd love to buy a spare muffler to try this out. How much of a difference did it make?

Weight. To me, a 40 cc. saw is all about light weight. I have a very powerful 50 cc. saw, and a few bigger ones already. As a single saw, the Dolmar looks a really good saw for a really good price.

I disagree. Wait till you have a problem with a saw that you bought from a box store that you can't figure out and you take it back to them for repair... chances are you will get a look like your an alien from mars or something of the sort.

Here's a little story. I was buying trimmer line at Home Depot awhile back. Down the isle I heard a guys asking a store worker what bar and chain he needed for his saw that he bought there. I listen for a few minutes (while the employee was clearly thoroughly confused) as I was looking over there line selection. As I walked past I humbly pointed out the set up the customer needed for his saw.

We need respectable dealers for O P E.

I couldn't agree more. A Poulan, Home Depot, or Lowes warranty is not the same as your local dealer who knows you or say @fordf150. They're not even in the same ballpark. Two totally different concepts.

Dolmar = pro quality
Husqvarna 450 = quality name, good saw.

Dolmar definitely built better. But unless you're a pro, the quality difference shouldn't make much of a difference. If you plan to stick with this site and get CAD, (goodluck trying not to get it)... which will most likely end up happening, most issues you have, you'll fix yourself, or at least attempt.

I've had my eye out for a dolmar 421 or makita ea4300 (actually would love to grab the makita ea4300), but I've only ever seen 2 that weren't "buy it now" new. One was non running and still sold for 175.. The other was new and box got beat up in shipping. Sold for 250...

With all that being said, that clearly shows the Dolmar is a very high desired saw, that almost never gets sold after bought. Meaning it's loved... But again, with a one saw plan, if anything acts up on it, you have no saw until shipped back to you.

If I had to pick 1, I'd go dolmar. But, if it was my only saw, and I needed a saw, I'd probably lean 450. Larger cc saw for 1 saw plan, and parts are easier to purchase (Lowes, or eBay always has tons of new and used 450 parts). Again, assuming those 2 are the only options.

I know the OP made his decision, but I have a few questions for those familiar with both if y'all don't mind.

1. The Dolmar is a 40 cc listed at 2.9 HP and the Husky is a 50cc listed at 3.2 HP. Will gutting the cat make up the difference in HP or even surpass the Husky for power? Also some posters have commented that the Dolmar felt like it had adequate torque, but lacked rpm.

2. Where are you guys buying parts for these saws? None of the local dealers are carrying parts or saws for that matter.

3. I noticed some older posts mentioned the saw shipping with a nice case. Is Dolmar still doing this?

4. Is the weight on the Dolmar correct at 10.8 lbs?
Thanks!

The lack of Dolmars being resold is what they would call "a clue" in police work :D

Police work? They do? Lol just kidding :popcorn2:
But I completely agree. Which is why, the last thing I need is another 38-42cc saw... Yet if I came across a good deal on dolmar/makita 420/421/ea4300... I'd buy it.

I know the OP made his decision, but I have a few questions for those familiar with both if y'all don't mind.

1. The Dolmar is a 40 cc listed at 2.9 HP and the Husky is a 50cc listed at 3.2 HP. Will gutting the cat make up the difference in HP or even surpass the Husky for power? Also some posters have commented that the Dolmar felt like it had adequate torque, but lacked rpm.

2. Where are you guys buying parts for these saws? None of the local dealers are carrying parts or saws for that matter.

3. I noticed some older posts mentioned the saw shipping with a nice case. Is Dolmar still doing this?

Thanks!

1- I'm not real sure on HP.. But I just can't see it making up 8-10cc just by cat mod. Could be wrong, have been in the past, just seems too much of a jump.

2- eBay had parts. All my local dealers are stihl, husqvarna, echo, and 1 jred... I Know of no local dolmar dealers. As to husqvarna, you can find a TON of 450 parts or even parts saws.. Dolmar has some used, lots more new... Or, ask around. A few members here are dolmar dealers and can help you out with parts.. Idk members well enough to mention who supplies what, sorry current members.

3- the one on eBay I saw, was brand new and had a badly beat up box, which is why the dealer was selling on eBay. no case mentioned or shown. Which makes me think it is no longer sold with saws.

@NC Cutter

No its not going to make up the difference but they will be close enough in power that you probably wouldnt prefer one over the other. Torque is what makes the 421 what it is, its not a high RPM limbing saw but more of a all around saw that is just as happy buried bar deep as it is cutting 3" limbs. I dont think there is any one thing that makes people love the 421 but rather its a combination of traits that make it great all around small saw that in many cases feels like it punches above its class

Several good dealers(including me) that stock lots of parts for them and ship. Finding good local dealers is difficult depending on your area.

shipping with a case was a certain online retailer, not sure if they are still selling them that way though and near as i could tell they didnt mess with parts and any warranty work they claimed the saw needed shipped back to them IIRC. thats been awhile back so my memory may be wrong. I dont mess with the Dolmar cases, too expensive and the echo toughchest is a much better option if you want a box

Just threw one on the scale to check......PHO with about 1/3 tank of fuel and oil....10.8 lbs

The Dolmar is a 40 cc listed at 2.9 HP and the Husky is a 50cc listed at 3.2 HP

Keep in mind those are manufactures published numbers and are often fudged, which one saws the fastest . Steve

With a bore of 42mm ans a stroke of 30.6mm the Dolmar comes out at 42.4cc. Some of the other stuff is likely rounded off maybe even rounded off before converting to hp.

From the 421/351 owners manual and the Husqvarna website USA version I see they both claim max torque of 2.6NM. The number that really stands out is the fuel consumption, I am guessing both numbers are at max power like it says in the 421 manual. 504 g/hr for the Husqvarna 450 and 900 g/hr for the Dolmar 421 and that likely goes higher with modifying the muffler/catalyst.

I would not do detective work on the sales/re-sales numbers unless you make sure you are working off a percentage of sold, not absolute numbers.

With a bore of 42mm ans a stroke of 30.6mm the Dolmar comes out at 42.4cc. Some of the other stuff is likely rounded off maybe even rounded off before converting to hp.

From the 421/351 owners manual and the Husqvarna website USA version I see they both claim max torque of 2.6NM. The number that really stands out is the fuel consumption, I am guessing both numbers are at max power like it says in the 421 manual. 504 g/hr for the Husqvarna 450 and 900 g/hr for the Dolmar 421 and that likely goes higher with modifying the muffler/catalyst.

I would not do detective work on the sales/re-sales numbers unless you make sure you are working off a percentage of sold, not absolute numbers.

Watch your units there. Husqvarna lists 504g/kWh for the 450 and Dolmar lists 480g/kWh, so the Dolmar actually uses less fuel to get the same power. Husqvarna don't list a kg/h at max load like Dolmar do. See page 18 of http://download.dolmar.com/manuals/20237.pdf and the bottom of this page http://www.husqvarna.com/au/products/chainsaws/450/967187838/

I hope I don't offend anyone. But if I'm looking for a quality saw, one that I intend to count on, day in and day out...
The last thing I'm checking is fuel consumption...

MAYBE the only time I'd consider that, is if I'm looking at a dolmar 420 and 421... Just seeing every little + and - with the new model.

But when comparing these 2, popular models, fuel consumption is something I would not even check. Both are established, both are well liked all over...

That said, I understand and do appreciate the outside observation that I truthfully would've never even thought about checking....... BUT, if you're buying a saw that will cut wood to heat your home, and not looking at an unknown saw, new model, than fuel consumption is not something that would have me lean one way or the other.

But, that is my opinion. Which might not even be worth 2 cents lol :sweet:

Back