Opinions on saws in the $400-450 range.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly but as a whole package maybe for some . If you put cutting time at the bottom of priority and things like AV, handling, and weight to the top , for some it would be worth the compromise and a closer price comparison.
If you look at wanting things like dual spikes, aluminum handle, it might be easier and more realistic in the said price range without giving up much performance.

I hear what you're saying Corey and you know I like the Dolly's a lot. Setting the cutting time discussion aside, the weight of the 5105 is not a positive IMO. Specs show it at 12 lbs. but it's true weight has been shown to be 12.5 lbs. on this thread. That's really heavy in the 50cc class. The cs-490 and cs-500p weigh 10.6 lbs. I have no doubt the 5105 is an awesome saw but it's weight is definitely not a selling point.

The 490/500 is not impressive stock power wise ported its a different story from all iv read on AS. lots left under the hood of that saw.

The 490/500 is not impressive stock power wise ported its a different story from all iv read on AS. lots left under the hood of that saw.

I agree with your statement...they are not impressive power wise in stock form. Ported is a different ball game. In a 23" pine log, my MMWS 500p with a 20" b&c was only 5 seconds behind my mildly modded 620p with a 24" b&c (deflector cut/tab delete):

620p - Run 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IDmuFDR7Bs

I agree with your statement...they are not impressive power wise in stock form. Ported is a different ball game. In a 23" pine log, my MMWS 500p with a 20" b&c was only 5 seconds behind my mildly modded 620p with a 24" b&c (deflector cut/tab delete):

620p - Run 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IDmuFDR7Bs

Sounds like those mufflers could be opened up quite a bit more. Good videos :drinking:

I compared my 346xp NE to my new unmodified echo Cs 490 the last few days cut a few hours with each. 346 has base gasket delete, muffler mod. The 346 was faster obviously but the echo was nice for a stock saw. The Echo suprised me by being pretty torquey, no problem buried 16" in red oak. The fastest cut times with the echo are with it pushed on hard.

Sounds like those mufflers could be opened up quite a bit more. Good videos :drinking:

The 620p muff has only had the deflector cut out because I wanted to do some testing with it before I gutted it. The 500p has had a nice dual port muff job by Randy Evans. Really can't open it up any more.

The 620p muff has only had the deflector cut out because I wanted to do some testing with it before I gutted it. The 500p has had a nice dual port muff job by Randy Evans. Really can't open it up any more.
I just pulled the restrictive pipe out of the muff and cut the front out of the deflector on my 490. Pinching Penny's to get it ported some time soon. When that's done the 590 will probly move on to help cover a dolly 7900 cause a 50cc saw will cover 90% of what I cut and the dolly would handle anything I'm willing to putva saw into. I cut alone so some of the really big stuff I don't mess with.

I just pulled the restrictive pipe out of the muff and cut the front out of the deflector on my 490. Pinching Penny's to get it ported some time soon. When that's done the 590 will probly move on to help cover a dolly 7900 cause a 50cc saw will cover 90% of what I cut and the dolly would handle anything I'm willing to putva saw into. I cut alone so some of the really big stuff I don't mess with.
I can't wait to get mine ported. I've never ran one before so I'm stoked. I have an appointment in August.

I went by the dealer and looked at the Echo line again to compare the 590 and 620. I see the difference now. The 620 is .5 lbs heavier but is a higher quality chassis. I can't speak for the internals, but just from looking at it and holding it it feels like a better saw. Is it $250 better? I guess that is up to to buyer. Looked hard at the Shindiawa saw right next to it. You can get the same exact saw in red if you prefer. They didn't have any high end Huskys there. I think the Rancher was the top model. Thanks for all the info guys, keep it coming.

The Echo suprised me by being pretty torquey, no problem buried 16" in red oak.
This is not much of a test, especially for a 50cc saw. The only saw I have that won't do the same is an old 32cc Mac with a 12" bar.

Just a note on the CS-600P. Earlier units used a different piston/cylinder according to the IPL's. They also use a much smaller and more restrictive deflector on the muffler. I own an early CS-600 and a CS-590, both are stock other than tuning and opening up the restriction in the deflector. Not sure how this effects the results of porting, etc, just thought I'd mention it here.

I haven't done any timed cutting with them yet, but the CS-600 seems to run just a tad faster than CS-590. It could simply be that I'm noticing the cut-in point of the limited coil on the CS-590, as they also use different coils, but I still think the CS-600 is just a tad stronger in the cut than the CS-590. I'll find out for sure when I get a moment to run them against each other, but right now it's hot, humid, and I have a LOT of wood to cut so not much time for testing saws against each other.

I will say in support of these two models that they are excellent in all areas, strong power, and to date dead solid reliable. The only negative noticed is that when they are really hot and heat soaked, extended idling between cuts will produce a very slight idle speed change if you grab one of them quickly to make a cut. Neither one has died out yet when this happens, but both of them do it consistently......Cliff

Just looking at the 2 saws side by side, my impression is if I had to buy one to use every day for a living, I would pick the 620P. It looks to be more robust in its build and should be able to handle heavier use. But for my use, the 590 would be better. There is no way I am going to wear out a 590 let alone a 620P.

The only negative noticed is that when they are really hot and heat soaked, extended idling between cuts will produce a very slight idle speed change if you grab one of them quickly to make a cut. Neither one has died out yet when this happens, but both of them do it consistently......Cliff

That's pretty common with saws, just the fuel/oil moving around.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That's what I figured and wasn't overly concerned about it. Probably doesn't help that it's really hot/humid this time of year. Nearly all of my saws will experience some sort of "heat soak" issue of one form or another, but all return to normal when things cool off again.......Cliff

This is not much of a test, especially for a 50cc saw. The only saw I have that won't do the same is an old 32cc Mac with a 12" bar.
I consider it a test because I was actually pushing pretty damn hard on it for a 50cc saw in a 20" log buried. This is red oak so hard it throws sparks on a brand new chain and oiler turned all the way up. White oak is worse as well. Not saying a Cs 490 is the most amazing 50cc saw out there but I'd say it compares pretty well to the husqvarna 545 which costs 180$ more and is very simular in power. It's definately not 180$ better saw. The echo actually noodles way better than the 545 which always clogged up. It's got a roller chain catcher, a lighter weight and is built better IMO.

Back