Okay, seriously need help getting this old stihl running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jesse, that's awesome that you finally got her going! That's a great saw! To respond to Chris Sutton's comment, the 056 Super is one is the only saws that could keep up with the Poulan 5200. Back to Jesse, i wouldn't mill anything with that saw until you've got about 3-5 tanks through it cutting other stuff easy. Milling is hard on a saw and you want to make sure it's broken in reeeal good first. And run it a little rich when milling. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Jesse, that's awesome that you finally got her going! That's a great saw! To respond to Chris Sutton's comment, the 056 Super is one is the only saws that could keep up with the Poulan 5200. Back to Jesse, i wouldn't mill anything with that saw until you've got about 3-5 tanks through it cutting other stuff easy. Milling is hard on a saw and you want to make sure it's broken in reeeal good first. And run it a little rich when milling. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the tip! I burned through a tank already. But I'll do at least 2 more before I get to milling today. I've noticed that when I tilt the saw on its side it seems to go more rich, from gravity I'm assuming. Kinda a pain in the ass to tune a carb that's facing the ground! Haha but hopefully this saw won't let me screw it up again.

hey do you cut big trees because the 56 is a man killer so i know you'r not cutting fire wood i got a friend thats got a 66 mag i gave him a 56 2 years ago all it needed was a muffler i'll see if i can get it back i'm not in it for the money so don't worry but i don't know what the shipping will be for a 35+pound saw and if i can get the 66 that would be even better but there isn't a saw that can touch the torque of the 56 i believe.

That is a very generous offer brother! I don't think you need to do that quite yet. I'll do my best to not defile this 056 anymore, but I will definitely keep that in mind. Where in the world are you?

Thank you for the tip! I burned through a tank already. But I'll do at least 2 more before I get to milling today. I've noticed that when I tilt the saw on its side it seems to go more rich, from gravity I'm assuming. Kinda a pain in the ass to tune a carb that's facing the ground! Haha but hopefully this saw won't let me screw it up again.
It might be carburetor adjustments making it rich when you turn it on its side or it could be something else. You should consider figuring out what is causing that and fix it before doing heavy milling with it. Aftermarket oil seals are only around $20 shipped from Germany for that saw. Seals are fairly easy to install if that is what is causing it. If you couldn't get it tuned out then find out what it is. You are too close to having your saw up to par to take chances.

It might be carburetor adjustments making it rich when you turn it on its side or it could be something else. You should consider figuring out what is causing that and fix it before doing heavy milling with it. Aftermarket oil seals are only around $20 shipped from Germany for that saw. Seals are fairly easy to install if that is what is causing it. If you couldn't get it tuned out then find out what it is. You are too close to having your saw up to par to take chances.
Hmm, I'm not quite following youm where fovthe oil seals come into play with the fuel regulation when on its side?

Hmm, I'm not quite following youm where fovthe oil seals come into play with the fuel regulation when on its side?
That is a common symptom of the clutch side oil seal no longer sealing properly. It could be other things though. Does your chain advance when on its side or does the idle slow down?

That is a common symptom of the clutch side oil seal no longer sealing properly. It could be other things though. Does your chain advance when on its side or does the idle slow down?

Which means possibly an Air leak at your clutch side seal.

This could cause you to score your piston & cylinder potentially ruining your saw.

Get the adjustments figured out and know 100% that your saw does not have an air leak before running it anymore.

It is beyond a horrible feeling to know that you could have prevented ruining a cylinder & piston had you just stopped until you got it fixed.

That is the voice of experience.

Don't worry, it's no big deal to fix a leak if that's what it is. Just takes a little patients to find it. Not a huge expense and well worth doing. Let us know if you got it running right.

As far as I know just the 045/056 can be shared. Also the 056 magnum but the magnum had its own bolt hole pattern for the 56mm cylinder and different bar studs.

Imo if it was a crank seal it would get leaner and run like a banchee. And it would be very wise to put a new key in the crank. Especially if you are milling. Keys are cheap and you've had it apart enough you know what your doing it is just a matter of removing broken piece. Good luck my friend

What husky said. That's how I found this site. When I turned one of my Super 1050's on it's side it would start to rev up, I knew it was sucking air somewhere. I didn't know that running a 2 stroke lean would burn it up. Melted the rings right into the piston. If the saw speeds up and seems to get more powerful it's leaning out, and melting down. I don't think any carb adjustment will make it change turning it on it's side. Sounds too much like a seal leak, be careful, Joe.

I just found a similar problem on my 045 super. It starts and runs well, but it idles a little high and stalls when turned on its side. I did a pressure test on the fuel line and it didn't hold. The line has lost its elasticity around the fitting. I think I had the carburetor tuned to compensate for the leak and when turned on its side it would stall.

That is a very generous offer brother! I don't think you need to do that quite yet. I'll do my best to not defile this 056 anymore, but I will definitely keep that in mind. Where in the world are you?
i'm 36 miles outside of chattanooga was that a locust tree? I hated cutting a tree that was hollow with nasty stinkin water in it ( back in the day) have you ever seen one of those small aluminum devices that take the place of you'r points and condenser (I'm just sayin) if all else fails !

just for the record the first sawi worked on was a 71A poulan the only saw that was as big was a mercury with handle bars on the dumb end of the bar the poulan had a 48 inch bar and a 404 chain and the bar was at least 8 inches wide (back in the day) just for the record!

Latest posts

Back