Propane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We filled our 500 gal LP tank around 5 or 6 years ago when the price was 96 cents a gallon. It's been turned off all this time and a few weeks ago I received a visit from the LP crew wondering how my tank was doing. He saw it was still at 80% so he told me that the company will be calling me...... I could buy the tank..... I could buy my own tank and have this gas pumped in to my new tank......... I could just sell them the gas and they will take the tank.. or I could rent this tank at $125.00 per year. We decided to buy this tank and wave every time the fill truck goes down the road.. The tank cost a bit more than what I could get a used one for on CL but this way, I'm not paying to haul a different tank and the extra pumping charges... Long story short..... we heat the HW with scrap wood from the property and I have a 30 gal LP tank for the cooking stove..

We filled our 500 gal LP tank around 5 or 6 years ago when the price was 96 cents a gallon. It's been turned off all this time and a few weeks ago I received a visit from the LP crew wondering how my tank was doing. He saw it was still at 80% so he told me that the company will be calling me...... I could buy the tank..... I could buy my own tank and have this gas pumped in to my new tank......... I could just sell them the gas and they will take the tank.. or I could rent this tank at $125.00 per year. We decided to buy this tank and wave every time the fill truck goes down the road.. The tank cost a bit more than what I could get a used one for on CL but this way, I'm not paying to haul a different tank and the extra pumping charges... Long story short..... we heat the HW with scrap wood from the property and I have a 30 gal LP tank for the cooking stove..
had a 100 gallon,,ROUND propain tank brought for a radiator boil tank.................you dont use huge amounts doing that...they called that fall,,and said they were going to charge me for the tank. I said id bring it to them in a few days... they questioned me like mad,,but I said Id return it...so I went to my main lp guy,,and said I needed to use his transfer hose..he knew me well enough,,but the look on his face.....went home,,rigged up the hoses I needed, and had this tank hooked to a propain tank out of a truck..80 gallon.....turned on the pump I built, and away it went....1 1/2 hrs later,,it was all transferred........the 100 gal round,,was upside down to do this.....shut it all down,,took the tank to them. they were expecting the 65 gallons to still be in it......NOPE!!!!!! :laughing::laughing: fill my own grill tanks also........smucks!!! another time,, they said theyd pull the propain out..and give me 30 cents towards refill........................uh huh....said pay me the current price per gallon for it...they said no..so I told them to put that many gallons in MY used tank......they didn't argue.. the iowa utitlites board was the next step...grrrrr....gas co's!!!!!!

Try looking around propane dealers for refurbished tanks. My buddy works for a fuel oil delivery truck builder/repair shop. They're branching out to propane and sell certified, remanufactured tanks.

I bought a new 1,000gal tank when we built our house 15 years ago. The tank was around $1,000.
For the first couple of years, we used propane for heat, hot water and cooking. We burned about 1200 gal a year.
When I started supplementing the heat with wood, our propane consumption dropped to about 500 gallons a year.
I just signed a pre buy contract, good until next May, for 500 gal @ $1.29 a gallon. That's about as cheap as you can buy propane around where I live.
The winter it got to $3.89 a gallon, I heated almost exclusively with wood. I was able to avoid buying any propane at all that year. I don't like to let the tank get below 40%, but made an exception when the prices got stupid high.

I bought a new 1,000gal tank when we built our house 15 years ago. The tank was around $1,000.
For the first couple of years, we used propane for heat, hot water and cooking. We burned about 1200 gal a year.
When I started supplementing the heat with wood, our propane consumption dropped to about 500 gallons a year.
I just signed a pre buy contract, good until next May, for 500 gal @ $1.29 a gallon. That's about as cheap as you can buy propane around where I live.
The winter it got to $3.89 a gallon, I heated almost exclusively with wood. I was able to avoid buying any propane at all that year. I don't like to let the tank get below 40%, but made an exception when the prices got stupid high.
I have a 500 gallon tank and have the same program as you. Isn't it great to be able to weather the storm of high prices and buy when low?

That's not bad....$1500 year is cheap heating with an oil based fuel.
But nothing compares to wood or wood pellets.
My heat costs me about $600 a heating season with wood pellets.
I do the same, buy on sale and in bulk. I've paid off the stove and install labour after only two years burning pellets.
I save over $1500 over oil, gas or LP a year, and that's every year.
No other heating system can even come close to that, except wood.
Now if I could only convince the wife that the savings means I can buy a new trailer or chainsaw...ha,ha....good luck with that logic eh?

That's not bad....$1500 year is cheap heating with an oil based fuel.
But nothing compares to wood or wood pellets.
My heat costs me about $600 a heating season with wood pellets.
I do the same, buy on sale and in bulk. I've paid off the stove and install labour after only two years burning pellets.
I save over $1500 over oil, gas or LP a year, and that's every year.
No other heating system can even come close to that, except wood.
Now if I could only convince the wife that the savings means I can buy a new trailer or chainsaw...ha,ha....good luck with that logic eh?
You need to work harder on your wife. Mine doesn't question the need for new saws and didn't whine too much when a new 4wd tractor was delivered. I figure it's about time for a dump trailer. She really hates a cold house in the winter.

Very jealous of you guys. Out here in the boondocks of Japan propane goes at about $6 to $7 a gallon. Only use it for cooking, and use wood for everything else.

Have natural gas here. Dang "customer fees" are almost $30 a month whether 1 drip or a million ccf is used.

I normally use $10-20 of natural gas a month (cookstove, dryer, water heater, garage heat).

They sent me a "shutoff notice" a while back. Frigging idiots confused them owing ME about $300 into me owing them! I just put $50/month to them on auto pay and guess I used less than that.

Bought my yearly 250 gallon fill today for $0.99/gal here in Central MN. Feeds the stove, dryer, and hot water heater for the time being. Got the Mrs. a new clothes line and shopping for a heat exchanger for the hot water ;)

I bought a 10 plate exchanger from eBay when I installed our OWB some years ago. I heat the HW 365- 24/7 and never looked back. Keep the OWB at 165/155 and use mostly scraps from the splitter, junk wood from the storms. For just the HW, it doesn't take as much wood as a person thinks. Maybe 2 splits of some junk Basswood once every two days.

Propane is $2.70 average here in Mass according to the state. We now own a 500 gallon tank so we get the average state price or lower. We had rented tanks for years and they stuck it to us with prices $2.00 over the average and then a fee for low usage. Mass does not regulate propane so they screw you if they can. Our company called last month to say they were reaching out to all old customers that had no fills in a year to see what's up. We got a wood boiler last year and never once had the gas boiler going. I will call in August to get a fill, we still use it for hot water when the wood boiler is down, cooking and a drier when we don't hang our laundry out.

The fill before last was 3 years ago. I talked them down to 2.99 a gallon back when. Because we leased their tank, we got ran thru the coals with non usage fees, maintenence fees, etc. We finally got sick of it and bought a new 500 gallon tank. Propane was .90 a gallon last year and with the new tank, and no more fees. We couldn't be happier. From fall of last year to now, we used 12% of our tank for heat when it was too warm for wood, the clothes dryer and the gas stove.

Have natural gas here. Dang "customer fees" are almost $30 a month whether 1 drip or a million ccf is used.

I normally use $10-20 of natural gas a month (cookstove, dryer, water heater, garage heat).

They sent me a "shutoff notice" a while back. Frigging idiots confused them owing ME about $300 into me owing them! I just put $50/month to them on auto pay and guess I used less than that.

Dam_n thieves!!!

Latest posts

Back