OPE submerged in flood, including MS-441C, how to save?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturelover

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Well, if haven't heard, WV was devastated by recent flooding.

It got my basement, but just a couple inches in the house.

However most of my OPE was in the basement and was completely submerged in the mud and muck.

I don't have the time or means to fix them, and was just now able to reach them. Will wash and may take them somewhere tomorrow for an estimate to clean, but should I do anything to them for today?

Could they be repaired? My FS-250 trimmer might be okay with a disassembly and cleaning, but what about the M-tronic? More concerned about the trimmer actually, as that one can't be replaced.... I could clean and fix then both later on, but would be afraid of leaving them sit that long.

Drain any water and fill them full of oil or WD-40 for now?

Thanks for any info, and thoughts to those who lost so much more.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Was given a ms250 that was in flood at camp albert pike in Ark. and I took covers off and cleaned out debris and took spark plug out and poured oil down inside cyl. and kept working crank and it freed up . Put drill motor with socket on crank and turned over several minutes and replaced spark plug and fired up and has run perfect ever since!

I'd definitely let it dry out before you tried to start it. That's when the electronics will end up frying.

I've dealt with floods all my life and the muddy silt is the problem. I'd be afraid it would get into the bearings. I've tried resurrecting several lawnmowers and they were ruined by crank bearing failure.

As per the guy above, silt or rust in the mains is the biggest problem. probably worth taking the plug out and getting some diesel down the bore and in to the bottom end and pull it over a few times and then drain in to a clear container to inspect. Keep doing this until that fluid is clean of any signs of water and dirt and hopefully you will strike lucky.

The only danger with the water is the rust it will create in the bearings. Everything else can be cleaned out. Time is of utmost importance, get the mains clean and get it running as soon as possible and keep it running until it is 100% dry.

Also make sure the fuel system is clear of water as this will cause some interesting running issues.

Flood water has a lot of mud/dirt. Which is why I suggest a good flushing with clean water first. It will not hurt anything, and cannot do anything but help the saw. If you go turning the engine over with a lot of mud in it, you will really cause harm. Flush it out with clean water and get all of the grit out that you can.

I would have the cylinders off, flush them with clean water, then with alcohol, then with mix. I'd then lube the bearings well, fire it up and get it hot. You'll want to disassemble and spray carb cleaner through the carb orifices as well. You need to do this NOW, to stop rust and corrosion, especially in the bearings.

Well, filled them full of oil through the plug hole this morning. Just no time with all that is going on.

Will run them in tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for the advice all, hopefully they can be repaired.

26 lives lost so far, devastating... :(

Flood water has a lot of mud/dirt. Which is why I suggest a good flushing with clean water first. It will not hurt anything, and cannot do anything but help the saw. If you go turning the engine over with a lot of mud in it, you will really cause harm. Flush it out with clean water and get all of the grit out that you can.

100% agreed. I have to deal with sunken outboards all the time.
The best thing to do is flush the engine with fresh water and a some form of dish soap. Dawn is what we use. The reason you never put oil or fuel into the engine first is. 1 it will cause all the grit to clump up and 2 will make the removal of said grit much more difficult.
The best thing is lots of fresh water and soap. Then spray it up with crowl, deep creap or wd40. (All of these will displace water better than oil).
Pull the cord a few times with the plug out and spraying wd down the carb. Clean out the fuel and fill it up and get it started. Let it get warm and dry itself out. After a few minutes run the tar out of it and you should be good to go.

I have to do this on a regular basis. Lots of different methods but this is what works the best without tearing into the engine.

Hope this helps.

Steven

Well, was hoping to use some wd 40, but couldn't find it in the garage, think hiding in the mud. But got them to the dealer to look at this morning for a repair estimate.

Makes sense though, and do have some now to use on a gale outboard I'm trying to save also, if I can get to it.

Unfortunately, with all that is going on there. They will likely sit on the floor at the dealer for a few weeks or more, rusting, until the dealer's mechanics will even look at them. At a shop during a disaster, there is little time to do anything but take care of the emergency type equipment first.

I should add. That if whatever engine or equipment that was submerged. Was equipped with any sort of ignition or coil under the flywheel. That the flywheel should definitely be removed to properly clean behind it. You don't want to be using whatever mud or grit behind it as a lapping compound for your mag or coil.

Steven

Yep, there is.

Took them about a week to get to them, but they're back up and running.

He said that where I'd put the oil in them, that he had to tear them apart and clean with two cans of brake cleaner (which is what I'd wanted anyway), cleaned the carbs, new plugs, a new filter for the FS-250.

Hopefully the oil kept things from rusting, he didn't seem to think they were hurt. Said the 441 was a beautiful saw, and said to try and hold onto the FS-250, as it is one that can't be replaced.

So will see, as say, more worried about the 250. Should more be done to it? Hate to wreck a cylinder, or worse.

Latest posts

Back