fuel mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yay, an oil thread! This is an important, yet mostly un-discussed topic. I very much look forward to hearing what ratios people have problems with, and what ratios guarantee every part of your saw will last forever, including the chain tensioner and operator presence lever.

I find that my Husqvarna decals stay in place better with oil ratios of between 40:1 and 50:1. That's the main thing I look for in a used saw - decals. If the decal is in place, you're pretty well guaranteed that the piston/cylinder is nice & shiny.;)

I use 45:1 which is a stihl grey bottle mixed with .9 of a gallon of 93 gas.... I dont let the mix get over a month old as I use this mix for all my 2-strokes, trimmers, chainsaws, blower.....never have any problems at all, matter of fact my 5-6 year old ms250 with LOTS of use has a flawless looking piston.... I did a muff mod to it last year and of course looked at the piston and was extremely happy with the way it looked.... The top of the piston didn't have carbon build up either.... I think a lot of guys that use a heavier oil mix fail to realize that it will cause l carbon build up on the top of the piston.... This carbon will in turn come off and cause problems down the road.....I am NOT trying to tell anyone how to mix their fuel and I realize guys with ported saws run a ritcher mix, but I have seen some of the saws I have rebuilt have to much carbon on top of the piston!!!!

I have to be different I run 36:1 fully synthetic. I buy it by the liter and measure it out myself with a graduated cylinder. It is every bit as low cost as running store bought sthil or husky oil at 50:1

I have to be different I run 36:1 fully synthetic. I buy it by the liter and measure it out myself with a graduated cylinder. It is every bit as low cost as running store bought sthil or husky oil at 50:1

Hello sir, do you have much smoke with the synthetic oil mixed like that.... Or does the muffler get oily....just curious!!!!

I do same as couple others 2.6 oz. bottle to .8 gallons 40:1.
Also if Im useing guart of motomix I add a little more oil to get ratio close to 40:1

No the muffler does not get oily. Btw I run Motul 800 2T Factory Line I can barely smell the smoke and the smoke smell is the reason I run the Motul. Not a obnoxious smell such as the Sthil oil.

I find that my Husqvarna decals stay in place better with oil ratios of between 40:1 and 50:1. That's the main thing I look for in a used saw - decals. If the decal is in place, you're pretty well guaranteed that the piston/cylinder is nice & shiny.;)

Wow, 40-50:1, that's specific. You're going to make all the decals go NLA with that kind of sloppiness.

A buddy(might or might not be the mystery porter who makes the best saws, ever) told me to use 250:1 husqvarna low-smoke oil. Said my decals would be guaranteed to outlast any saw.

Wow, 40-50:1, that's specific. You're going to make all the decals go NLA with that kind of sloppiness.

A buddy(might or might not be the mystery porter who makes the best saws, ever) told me to use 250:1 husqvarna low-smoke oil. Said my decals would be guaranteed to outlast any saw.

Hmmmmthanks for the suggestion. I might run a couple gallons of 0:1 ratio through all my saws and see how that works for the decals. Gotta keep them pretty, don'cha know.:eek:

Back