Who ports saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my 372xp ported, but imo for the average wood cutter if you do a good muffler mod and get the squish to around .020" unless you are actually racing the saw, a muff mod and squish is all you need. As a home firewood cutter 10 - 15 cords a year. I don't think I would waste my money on a port job again. I have a muf modd'ed and squish set 359 that cuts almost as good as the ported 372.

First of all, I have no idea who ported your saw. However, if this is true, then your 372 is seriously weak. A ported 372 should run circles around your 359!
Yep. I was thinking that "someone" needs to check the tune on that 372, or see if there is some other cause for the poor performance.

Sure the 372 cuts a log a few seconds faster than the 359, my point was for the average guy is 3 or 4 seconds per cut worth the money? There is nobody else around I am trying to impress.

I live at 4700' and routinely cut at around 8000'. The performance, or lack thereof is noticeable after a days cutting without adjustment.

How many miles u go to get that high.

Sent from hoskvarna hills

First of all, I have no idea who ported your saw. However, if this is true, then your 372 is seriously weak. A ported 372 should run circles around your 359!

Nah. I think it's typical for around here for a muffler mod and 10-20psi bump in compression(who am I kidding...every saw with squish set is 200+....) to gain about 40% more horsepower. Silly Husqvarna and Dam EPA...

How many miles u go to get that high.

Sent from hoskvarna hills
Not many. I think from the mouth of Payson Canyon to the summit at 9500' is about 14 miles, then I drop back down Santaquin Canyon for the turn off to the Girls Camp where I do the tree work for our church.

Sure the 372 cuts a log a few seconds faster than the 359, my point was for the average guy is 3 or 4 seconds per cut worth the money? There is nobody else around I am trying to impress.
That's how I interpreted what you initially wrote, and I agree. For gathering my firewood the time spent running the saw is one of the smallest (and easiest) portions of the job, so speeding it up by even a fairly large percentage has little impact on the total job. For a pro faller who's spending a greater percentage of time actually cutting with a saw the equation would be different. I port some of my saws for fun because it's a hobby, but the speed improvement is of no relevance to how much firewood I gather or whether my house is warm in the winter.

Both really I didn't know about most of the guys on the list. I made an appointment in August with Randy for the 372. Haven't made up my mind on the 346 yet.
Good choice ,the xpw he did for me was very strong ,lot of good choices these days for builders ,Most all of them will do you right .

For me it's not really about the time saved. It's about running a machine that flat out performs. I simply enjoy it. Why ride a weak little quad through the dunes when you can blast around on a dune shredding monster built Banshee?

Back