Supersplit question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old log dog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has any one attempted to replace the roller bearings on a superslpit with ultra high molecular weight polyethylene slides that would never require maintance?

Has any one attempted to replace the roller bearings on a superslpit with ultra high molecular weight polyethylene slides that would never require maintance?
Never have given that option a thought on my SS HD. Give it a try, let us know how it turns out. Most roller bearings last a long time and many a cord before replacement if sprayed down/lubed a little...and if you help keep debris, splinters, slithers, etc out as best you can. I usually keep a small wisk broom by mine just for that purpose, and a can of Pennzoil Z-1, Slick 50, or WD-40 for the occasional shot of juice.

...and welcome aboard to the site. Lots of good Super Split info here and plenty of owners of all models.

@KiwiBro might be interested in this avenue and have some foresight. I know he put a UHMW or UMWP table on top of his existing SS table to aid in sliding splits around for re-split/re-work.

Never have given that option a thought on my SS HD. Give it a try, let us know how it turns out. Most roller bearings last a long time and many a cord before replacement if sprayed down/lubed a little...and if you help keep debris, splinters, slithers, etc out as best you can. I usually keep a small wisk broom by mine just for that purpose, and a can of Pennzoil Z-1, Slick 50, or WD-40 for the occasional shot of juice.

...and welcome aboard to the site. Lots of good Super Split info here and plenty of owners of all models.
Thanks love the site! When times comes I will. I have acess to UMWP and I was thinking in advance of needing to replace them.

UMWP is a great idea to try. Lots of room for improvement, as the the unsealed needle bearings are high maintenance.
Well it is self lubricating and tough as nails. I have seen it out last steal in certain aplications. No moving parts seems like a no brainer. I am surprised no one to this point has made some up and bolted them on.-- Thanks Sandhill Crane

I replaced one bearing in 6 years. The single bearing that runs on top of the rack, the one that pushes down to engage the pinion. The others are still fine & I see no need to change anything here.

I had to replace a bearing in the first year.

Me too. Although stored inside, I've used the SS splitting wet rain soaked wood, and also wet winter wood. The non-sealed cam rollers get wet one day, the next day the needle bearings are rusted and froze up. I've gotten fairly efficient in removing all five cam rollers to soak in WD to free them up. I have an extra set of cam rollers to swap out when I do this.
I've been looking on line. UHMW seems to be more impact resistant, but harder to tool/shape.
I'm not sure if round bar stock is the way to go and imitate the cam rollers or a sled type design above and below the beam. If sled type, the top one could be square bar stock, chisel shape on each end, point edge down, to self clean the center of the beam and not ride up on crude. Or it could be round puck shaped, or again, bearing shaped as the original one.
Would the lower ones have to ride on a strip of UHMW attached to the underside of the beam flanges?

I've not had any of the three bearing that ride on the ram off the machine (J model).
But have sprayed WD-40 on them a few times.

Back