Who ports saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna step out on a limb here...If my math serves me correctly...056, your stats show you as 29 yrs old. Been a member since Nov, 2004. That puts you at 17 yrs old when you joined this site. No wonder you're so damn smart. It's amazing though...when I was 17, I cared zero about cutting wood...was way too damn busy trying to find all the two-legged dear to stick 'wood' in, that I could. You're definitely way before your time as a saw expert and light yrs ahead of the average idiot here...and I'm sure I speak on everyone's behalf here with the last statement. :laugh:

I find it interesting reading about porting 2Ts but in no way am I any good at it but I gave it a go here and there more for the tinker factor something to do when the days are short in winter its good to have something mechanical to tinker with keeps a man sane I recon...
My best work was IMHO (sadly not a 2T) to overpressure my pressure pump bloody thing wouldn't switch off, even wound the screw in and out had no effect! all guesswork I not a clue about electric water pumps or what I was doing really but bugger me it sure had some psi! I had it all messed up ended up just buying a new one haha...

I'm gonna step out on a limb here...If my math serves me correctly...056, your stats show you as 29 yrs old. Been a member since Nov, 2004. That puts you at 17 yrs old when you joined this site. No wonder you're so damn smart. It's amazing though...when I was 17, I cared zero about cutting wood...was way too damn busy trying to find all the two-legged dear to stick 'wood' in, that I could. You're definitely way before your time as a saw expert and light yrs ahead of the average idiot here...and I'm sure I speak on everyone's behalf here with the last statement. :laugh:

Hopefully, the powers that be will forgive the back and forth from the other night without any retribution.

Hopefully, others will let the mods moderate, as it's a full time job, most of us, taking care of our own business.

haha..funny

I got Mike Lee to buy two 75 cc and work 'em over. Since the 51.4 mm was never released in Canada, I just had to have two..lol. Anyway. Great guy to deal with. The package arrived last weekend, I just haven't opened them yet. Maybe there is nothing inside?One is going to be a little sportier than the other, like if they are in the box. I won't be out of camp for a few days yet but next week they are going on tour with me...I mean,
If they are actually in the box.. I'll buy a GoPro and mount it to my hard hat and you all can see my dirty ways out west.View attachment 512131
Nice stick ,how solid is it where you are cutting ?Mike does good work ,you should be happy with those saws .

Porting sounds like big business around here. I've always just poked an extra hole in the muffler and take out the base gasket if there is enough clearance. Maybe cleaned up/widened the transfers if I'm feeling frisky.

Works for me, YMMV.

What does "index the plug" mean?
You draw a stripe on the plug where the ground insulator is located, and then try to find one where the ground ends up at the top of the combustion chamber - pretty much exactly opposite location of what was shown here. The idea is that the ground electrode can block some of the flame front propagation. This has been done for years in many performance engines, but I've always been skeptical that it matters much. However, in looking at a ported saw engine that I had just assembled and run a short time, I noticed a clean stripe across the piston face, distinct from the light carbon elsewhere. In these 2 stroke engines at 10krpm there is maybe 2ms to complete the entire combustion process before the exhaust port opens up, and it may in fact make a difference.

EDIT: I was not very clear above - the clean stripe on the piston face was perfectly aligned with the ground electrode and I had not indexed the plug in that engine.

You draw a stripe on the plug where the ground insulator is located, and then try to find one where the ground ends up at the top of the combustion chamber - pretty much exactly opposite location of what was shown here. The idea is that the ground electrode can block some of the flame front propagation. This has been done for years in many performance engines, but I've always been skeptical that it matters much. However, in looking at a ported saw engine that I had just assembled and run a short time, I noticed a clean stripe across the piston face, distinct from the light carbon elsewhere. In these 2 stroke engines at 10krpm there is maybe 2ms to complete the entire combustion process before the exhaust port opens up, and it may in fact make a difference.

I know it makes a difference in every v8 I've worked on. Point the ground strap away from the intake valve

Latest posts

Back