346xp OE Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So basically I just have to pry out the old seal and press the new one in? Any tips on this process.

Appreciate the info Mr. Snelling!

Definitely not. Instead of pressing into the case, it's pressed into the outer bearing race. The races are wider than normal, making room for the seal. The 385 and 390 are the same way, as well as several Stihl saws.
Good to know Brad. I just assumed the Bearing had to be replaced with the seal.

I saw someone's post who had filed a notch in the end of a flathead...looks kind of similar to yours. I'll have to whip something up although we probably have seal pullers at work.

Fired it up again a few minutes ago and it's still leaking like a sieve. So I don't think it's leaking at the base...it has a nice fat bead all the way around the seal this time. Back to square one and waiting on seals to come in.

I noticed one of the carb screws doesn't quite snug up due to the partition being stripped out...would that cause a leak like this? I mean this thing races at idle...probably 5-6k and surges a bit.

I noticed one of the carb screws doesn't quite snug up due to the partition being stripped out...would that cause a leak like this? I mean this thing races at idle...probably 5-6k and surges a bit.
That's common problem with the plastic threads and screws being over tightened. But don't think it would cause that big a leak, needs to be fixed though.

Pull the carb sideways while it's running to tighten that loose spot. Maybe better not though, you'll have a toasted piston soon enough.

I'm not going to run it any more until this leak is addressed. I'm heavily leaning towards crank seals at this point.

Need some help fellas...is there another type of seal because there is no way these fit in the bearing race from the outside. Going to pressure/vac test this afternoon to try and isolate the leak.

TIA!

Way too big for PTO seal.Seal has to be inserted "inside"the bearing.

Can anyone hook me up with the part number(s) of the seals I need? Are they different between the PTO and flywheel side...looks like they should be?

I tried to do a pressure test and I couldn't get it to hold from the intake so I'm going to start there with a new partition and flange. That needed to be addressed anyway with the stripped threads and all.

Can anyone hook me up with the part number(s) of the seals I need? Are they different between the PTO and flywheel side...looks like they should be?

I tried to do a pressure test and I couldn't get it to hold from the intake so I'm going to start there with a new partition and flange. That needed to be addressed anyway with the stripped threads and all.

PTO :5054 161 01
Mag : 5052 757 19 Smaller one

Back