A Tale of Two Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old-cat

Fir Man
Reaction score
Back in 2013, I rebuilt and ran my first 066 STIHL saw. I was amazed. I had never used a saw before that was so powerful! Now, after many, many hours of fixing and hopping-up saws, I revisited that powerhouse STIHL saw. This time I was armed with a stop watch and a perfect log and a hopped-up STIHL ms461 along with another STIHL 066.
So I put a 24" STIHL bar and a brand new STIHL RS chain on the 066 and made a test cut with an 8t drive.
It performed exactly the same as the first 066, 3 years earlier. Next, I made a cut in the 23" log which took 23 seconds.
Then I put the same bar and chain on my ms461 and made another cut in the same log. This time the stop watch said 21 seconds.
It's only thanks to all the gurus on this site that I am the proud owner of this fine cutting machine!

The 461 is no joke, I was fully impressed after running one in stock form...I can imagine a modded one is something to behold! Stihl got that one right...

What all did you do to it? Full woods port? Strato gutted?

The 461 is definitely high on my list...

Contrary to certain propaganda, these saws do not have stratocharge. Every time a two cycle exhaust port gets raised the compression goes lower.
I raised the transfer port openings. That's all the hogging out they got.

Back