455 rancher chain issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also check the tip sprocket bearing. That last time I threw a couple of chains it was the tip failing, which became obvious when it ejected half of the tip sprocket.

Don't suppose you're running 3/8" low profile chain on a 3/8" regular bar, are you? That won't work so well. I've also had a lot more trouble with .325" chain leaping off than 3/8", although I'm willing to concede that may have been inexperienced operator error rather than the chain's fault. I run 3/8" on all my saws now, but had a cheap **** saw when I first started cutting that ran .325", and while I spent more than a bit of time with a dremel and .325" drive links, I've never had a 3/8" chain jump off. Of course, having said that, when I next go cutting I'll probably be dodging flying chains all day...

I throw the chain once in a while. Often times it happens when I'm cutting a branch under tension and using the nose end of the bar. I try and avoid those cuts if possible and use the belly of the bar now. Any more it seems we always have to file or grind the drive links to use the chain again. When I started cutting 15 or 16 years ago, that wasn't the case. You'd throw a chain and simply put it back on and you were good to go. Using different saws back then: MS 290s and later a 346XP. Maybe it's about the type of sprocket. I don't really know enough about all the mechanics to offer a solid explanation.

I throw the chain once in a while. Often times it happens when I'm cutting a branch under tension and using the nose end of the bar. I try and avoid those cuts if possible and use the belly of the bar now. Any more it seems we always have to file or grind the drive links to use the chain again. When I started cutting 15 or 16 years ago, that wasn't the case. You'd throw a chain and simply put it back on and you were good to go. Using different saws back then: MS 290s and later a 346XP. Maybe it's about the type of sprocket. I don't really know enough about all the mechanics to offer a solid explanation.
Thanks and I believe your right. My technic and sprocket causing the damage

I have that saw I had problems with my bar that came on it. Try running your chain a little tighter it's hard to even over tighten the chain on mine The tightened is on the clutch cover still with those saws? Try running it tighter. Strange thing is I always had a little more problem throwing chains with that saw than my others until I changed the bar on it . If your bar is in good shape I'd try to make sure it wasn't operator error We all screw up and throw a chain here and there. All of us..

Back