Oregan chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been a long time since I was on that end of town, I barely recognize the place anymore.

I live a few miles downstream from Maker's Mark now...

Haven't ever seen Oregon chain in private label but Forester sells chain marketed as unbranded Carlton. I bought one roll thinking it would be like the unbranded chain I bought from normal distributor.... It wasn't the same. The unbranded "Carlton" from Forester had no branding whatsoever on it.....unbranded from my normal distributor just meant it came in a plain white box but the chain itself was still marked Carlton.

Well I buy Carlton unbranded from forester all the time and 3/8 .050 is always stamped 50A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I buy Carlton unbranded from forester all the time and 3/8 .050 is always stamped 50A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Carlton chain is stamped "Carlton" on the tie straps and "A1" on the drivers....thats the difference between the "unbranded" stuff i bought from my normal distributor and what i bought from Forester. The unbranded from my normal channel still says "A1" and "Carlton" on the chain but comes in a plane white box. If I am selling carlton chain my customers expect it to be branded with carlton numbers/name

That is not an Oregon chain, and if it is then it's unlike any I ever encountered and I use almost exclusively Dolmar branded Oregon or Oregon loops.

I should have a new in a box loop and a worn loop, might take some pictures tomorrow.

If Your dealer sold You that loop at Oregon pricing You might want to talk to him.

In my area Oregon loops are the third most expensive chains right behind Stihl and Dolmar.

IMG_20160716_143211373.jpg Oregon are stamped with 72 for 1.3 mm (.050) gauge, 73 for 1.5 mm (.058) gauge and 75 for 1.6 (.063) gauge and the model of Oregon chain will always start with that.
Pictured is Oregon 75CJ. To me that translates to .063 pre ground (square chisel)
anything beyond the stamping that follows may indicate many things such as low pro, wide or narrow kerf, teeth intervals, cutter types, ect.
The same chain made by Husqvarna has 83 stamped on the driver but on paper it will read H83

Purchased this chain from my local dealer? Is it genuine??View attachment 512891View attachment 512892

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
Hello Chatton,

I am an engineer working at the Blount International corporate headquarters where the OREGON® brand sawchain is designed and manufactured.

The loop of chain shown in your pictures is not OREGON® brand sawchain. It should not have been put into a box with the OREGON® logo on it.

Did the dealer represent it as an OREGON® brand chain?
Please post or PM me the dealer's name, shop name, and phone number.

Thanks,
PowerSharp Eng.

:innocent:Somebody's in trouble... somebody's in trouble...

Just wondering, how many times the dealer has done this to other customers? A dealer like this can easily pick up customers who will not notice the difference or will not bother because it was just 20 bucks!!!
RV

Just wondering, how many times the dealer has done this to other customers? A dealer like this can easily pick up customers who will not notice the difference or will not bother because it was just 20 bucks!!!
RV
One of my local dealers sells stens recoils as genuine Honda. He even tried it on me. I thought the same thing as you, how many people don't know the difference and how many people has he done this to that it was just a normal sale to him

I've been given AM parts for Stihl chainsaws from a local Stihl dealer, paying Stihl prices. Didn't bother to go back and lose my **** when I noticed (after I got home) since they were small, non-critical parts (fuel caps and the like) but suffice to say, I'm (a) avoiding them from now on, and (b) going to be much more careful in future.

I've been given AM parts for Stihl chainsaws from a local Stihl dealer, paying Stihl prices. Didn't bother to go back and lose my **** when I noticed (after I got home) since they were small, non-critical parts (fuel caps and the like) but suffice to say, I'm (a) avoiding them from now on, and (b) going to be much more careful in future.
What state are you in?

If I caught a dealer pulling that crap I would take my business elsewhere. If he screws you like that just imagine what else he might pull.

As a dealer we are not aloud to sell copy or counterfeit parts. The idea is that the customer then knows they're getting the real deal

Sure, but what someone is allowed to do versus what they will do, given an appropriate profit motive, can be quite different.

Back