The world's happiest (and oldest) 2253 owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Least it's promising. My friend's Dad is "only" 77 and he is in diapers and some days I'm not sure he even knows his name (though other days he can rattle off part numbers and shelf locations for stuff that's been there for probably 25 years). He does the "poor pitiful me" b/s too which we mostly ignore. He worked as a logger most his life aside from some years as a farmer and soldier.

Our mechanic is 70 something are he can almost out work me, I'm about 1/2 his age. Granted I'm still not 100% from when I nearly died this spring (lung infection/kidney & liver failure) but still.
Though I've had 2 kids work for me, I fired them. Pretty bad when I could easily out work them 2x over with a bad back and bas allergies/asma.
Too used to playing "get fat on the couch while playing Warrior Craft and Caller of Duty"

Yeah, that's really weird that the former logger and soldier who is in diapers and doesn't know who he is some days is has depression on the days that he is cognitive.

At least he has really sympathetic co-workers and "friends" who can call out his Alzheimers "b/s"...

Yeah, that's really weird that the former logger and soldier who is in diapers and doesn't know who he is some days is has depression on the days that he is cognitive.

At least he has really sympathetic co-workers and "friends" who can call out his Alzheimers "b/s"...

I didnt say he has Alzheimers, where are you getting that from? The Dr's (several) say it's mostly an act and to not play into it.

Unfortunately some folks are just bored and/or lonely and manufacture problems to get others to play into.

The thing is he has all the opportunity in the world to not be bored.
It's very stressful for me because I end up trying to run my business plus babysit him/play liason.... ie... he'll take customer orders but never fill out the paperwork, so a week or two later... "where's my lumber?" and no one knows.
Or promise a mower, chainsaw, or even parts will be done or in, but never tell anyone or order anything.
I end up jumping through my ass to get it done.
As much as it'd be easy to say "the hell with it" it's not something I can do.

It really burns my ass because I work hard running my business plus helping my friend (he owns the shop) but his Dad often does more harm than good.

He plays off that he can't walk, bad bladder, diabeetus, but much of it is simply a "don't give a damn"/laziness.
I mean how else can you explain an able minded and bodied person that will go in a diaper vs using a bathroom 30ft away and then sit in it all day?

Sorry about the rant, I just dream of a work environment where others pull their weight too.

Interesting coincidence that somebody brought this thread back up last week, cause Ralph just turned 90!

Had a big party for him Sat evening. Good food and a lot of fun. Bout 40 people there. Think his eyes got a little moist at one point. His son had a tough time getting him out of the house because the temp was in the 90's and he didn't want to go anywhere.

Hip bothers him a little, but he's still cutting, (in the cool weather anyway.) The 2 loggers that supply him take good care of him too. They give him some primo loads of straight and not too big logs.

Interesting coincidence that somebody brought this thread back up last week, cause Ralph just turned 90!

Had a big party for him Sat evening. Good food and a lot of fun. Bout 40 people there. Think his eyes got a little moist at one point. His son had a tough time getting him out of the house because the temp was in the 90's and he didn't want to go anywhere.

Hip bothers him a little, but he's still cutting, (in the cool weather anyway.) The 2 loggers that supply him take good care of him too. They give him some primo loads of straight and not too big logs.

Great news! At that age you can't take anything for granted, glad he is still going strong.

Latest posts

Back