Fast-Filer Chain Filing Guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fast-Filer Chain Filing Guide

View attachment 512283

I received a couple of these to test, after seeing them mentioned in a trade magazine. They appear similar, in some ways, to the Husqvarna roller guides, with a couple of key differences:
- The top of the guide slides forward and back to control how much of the cutter is removed;
- The top then slides forward to protect the cutter when filing the depth gauge.

I am going to give them a try, and post some comments. I will also try to bring them to some GTG's for others to try. Anyone else who has used these, please post your comments in this thread.

The Fast-Filer is marketed by PMD International, in Australia, who also sells Archer brand saw chain, and the JAK Max line of rim sprockets and accessories. ***I do not know if/where they are available in the US yet, or what the MSRP is***. They are shown in a kit with a round file of the recommended size, flat file for depth gauges, and file handles.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/archer-saw-chain-made-in-australia.245018/
http://www.pmdinternational.com.au/

Philbert
HI Philbert - I'm new here, haven't figured out the ins and outs, but on the off chance that you are the guy to ask, do you have or have you ever tried the Electric Sure Sharp 12-volt chainsaw sharpener? I am finally using mine, just not correctly, and my instructions are covered in bar oil. I have looked and looked on the internet for another instruction sheet - seems to be the *only* thing unavailable on the net. Does anyone have an instruction sheet you can post or email? Thanks!!

I find your aggressive approach on wiping out 'microsleeps' on the road very progressive.

Dr Karl's lectures, the giant trees six inches from the side of the road, or the kangaroos leaping out of the undergrowth and scaring the **** out of you?

It's probably from living upside down, with all the blood rushing to your heads . . . But back on topic. . . .

. . . have or have you ever tried the Electric Sure Sharp 12-volt chainsaw sharpener? . . . I have looked and looked on the internet for another instruction sheet . . .
Lots of ways to sharpen - folks have to find what works for them.

If you have the Oregon version, contact their customer service 800 number, posted on their website. Very helpful folks. If you have the Granberg version, try contacting them.

Also check out the ABN/CBN stones offered by Left Coast Supplies, which do not change shape/ size as they wear.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/grandberg-type-sharpening-stones.285808/#post-5564536

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/rotary-chain-grinders-dremel-granberg-etc.286936/

Philbert

Than
It's probably from living upside down, with all the blood rushing to your heads . . . But bak on topic. . . .

Lots of ways to sharpen - folks have to find what works for them.

If you have the Oregon version, contact their customer service 800 number, posted on their website. Very helpful folks. If you have the Granberg version, try contacting them.

Also check out the ABN/CBN stones offered by Left Coast Supplies, which do not change shape/ size as they wear.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/grandberg-type-sharpening-stones.285808/#post-5564536

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/rotary-chain-grinders-dremel-granberg-etc.286936/

Philbert
Thanks Philbert. I'm learning so much from this site- up till 1 am reading on sharpening, my chains aren't going to know what hit them!

Yikes! Those rollers are getting chewed up quickly. I personally think you've already got enough evidence right there to declare these guides as junk...Whatever material the husky rollers are made of don't get chewed up and worn down for a long time. I guess its hard to find just the right material....it's got to be hard enough to hold up to a file, but not too hard because it'll damage the file.
Hopefully husqvarna or a better company steals this idea and makes it out of proper materials.

I think you are jumping the gun a bit on declaring these fast filers as junk ,These fast filers were developed over several years with testing on different types of material until the most suitable was sourced. I have been using The fast filer for almost a year now and yes initially it ruffs up the surface but quickly beds down ,the file particles in the rollers have no effect on the files life, in fact I believe it is extended due to the accuracy of the guide.

The Fast filer is designed for the mainstream sharpening of chains obviously it won't sharpen every chain on the planet but will sharpen the most commonly used,
it will sharpen skip tooth, and because the file guide rests on the top plate and as the tooth wears down your depth gauge can be filed to the correct height.

I have been chainsaw milling for the last 30 years and use an Oregon grinder to sharpen all my chains the previous night and see no need to sharpen out on the job , its much quicker to put a sharp chain on than muck around hand filing in my humble opinion.
It is my opinion that the fast filer will be available in more Variants as demand continues to grow, The company producing these units is only small in stature on the worlds stage
but is growing steadily and quality and service are foremost ,I fully support small and developing companies as they are the future and to suggest that some other company should steal this idea is despicable ,I just hope one day someone doesn't steal one of your ideas if you ever think of a good one.

"to suggest that some other company should steal this idea is despicable ,I just hope one day someone doesn't steal one of your ideas if you ever think of a good one."

The basic overall design of this guide is already stolen from Husqvarna. Archer is the thief. The fast filer is already a copycat of a previous roller guide....this company did the stealing. They just added a second roller made from cheap Chinese plastic ...the second roller is a great idea of theirs, I just doubt the quality of material used

Still, if Philbert only used the guide once or twice and its chewed up that badly I can't imagine it's just going to stop all of the sudden. I've used husky roller guides and not seen that amount of wear in a hundred sharpenings. You cannot say that the material used in these rollers is anywhere close to the quality of the husky rollers.
But ,if I see Philbert gets 50 or 100 fining out of the guide and the rollers do miraculously hold up, I will buy these guides myself.

And as far as me having good ideas......I make well over $100,000 a year selling my original wood sculptures. I make one of a kind carvings on a daily basis and I can't ever keep my original creations in stock. ....so put that in your pipe and smoke it

I know our gun laws are progressive and proven to be effective,so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Your gun laws are morally wrong and do nothing to reduce crime or make you safer. Seems you're the one that's been smoking something in your pipe.

Long intro then a question or two for Philbert from a mediocre filer of 3/8 and .404 chains.

I have an older Pferd type guide, a Husky roller, a Stihl roller, a Timberline, a Gramn and a Homelite410 vice. I also have a grinder with a Dinasaw wheel. Clearly, I am a easy sell for any gizmo.

My best results to date are with the Stihl roller, but I don't expect a life of more than 50 chains due to my seemingly inability to keep the file in the rollers.

My results are hit and miss with the Timberline especially on the left cutters. I can't consistantly get the height right. Poor lighting is a big contributor but none the less I am very disappointed.

Due to mislabeling, my Dinasaw wheel is only .163" so it is not ideal for my chains. My ground chains do not stay sharp as long as a filed chain. Reading AS let me to measure the wheel after several years of use. That is when I discovered the mislabeling. A 3/16" wheel is now $240 and out of stock.

Before I fork out any more money, could you explain why recommended wheels are narrower than recommended files? And how do these Aussie guides compare to the Stihl?

Thanks, Ron

Back