husky 372 or 272??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like both. I've seen far more 372's come through my door than 272's. I wouldn't mind spending more time with a 272 for a fair shake but I can't complain about either. Chain swaps aren't a problem, chain tensioning in the side cover of the 372 is nice though.

The downside of the inboard clutch (of the 372) is the sideways balance and handling of the saw - but it isn't really a big deal on a saw that size. The design of the 272 is basically 20 years older, and it clearly suffer from it, even though the model itself is much newer.

The downside of the inboard clutch (of the 372) is the sideways balance and handling of the saw - but it isn't really a big deal on a saw that size. The design of the 272 is basically 20 years older, and it clearly suffer from it, even though the model itself is much newer.

The 272 surely doesn't suffer from it's design :msp_wink: 272's don't suffer the stripped bolt holes and missing screws like the 372, even though it has that ancient rubber mount technology. Love me a 372, but it shakes screws loose like a 395 :msp_scared:

They stopped making the 272 for a reason, as they did the 372 in its first form.

Its a simple case of......yes, newer is better with Husqvarna.

And probably when the 572 or whatever is released, that statement will probably still hold true :D

The 372 is hands down the better saw. My 272 was short lived. The several 266 s I had cut a lot more timber than the 272 did. But the 372 . They just go and go and go.
The guy I'm cutting for right now is running a 4 year old one that he has cut millions of feet of timber and bucked a few hundred cord of wood with. And his 372 that he keeps at the mill has cut a lot more. My current 372 is 3 years old and has only fell and bucked a few hundred cord but its as strong as the day it broke in. It has taken 12 pulls to start first thing in the morning since it was new. . But that's no big deal. It pulls a 32" bar with an 8 tooth sprocket in spruce just fine. Its the 75 CC p+c which is what I recommend. I've had and cut timber with 1,371+3 ,372 s. And 5 , 046/460 Stihls and I can't find any cutting differencebetween the 75cc 372s and the 460 s

So it's got a few hours on it like this one?

ymysavys.jpg

i just got a 272 xp good condition 250 bucks i like it a lot never had a 372 272s are a lot cheaper to get projects start older and it will make the newer feel that much better:msp_wink:

You guys say the 372 makes a little more power than the 272. When you say "a little" are we talking a little or noticeable for those who have run both?

You guys say the 372 makes a little more power than the 272. When you say "a little" are we talking a little or noticeable for those who have run both?

There is not much difference power-wise. Vibration is a night and day difference, but antivibe can be overrated by people who never run a saw for more than 1 tank. For cutters who run a saw all day, I understand that plenty of 272s were retired early when the 371s came out because of the vibes.

Conventionally people say a 372 is faster reving and a 272 is more torque. I don't know if the second half of that is really accurate, or just sounds good. (I've run/owned both)

Speaking of sounding good, put a 288 exhaust outlet on the other side of the muffler, and a 272 sounds great. Like really, really great. I don't think the guy bagging on the 272xp's sound from 2013 when this thread was last active has done that.

There is not much difference power-wise. Vibration is a night and day difference, but antivibe can be overrated by people who never run a saw for more than 1 tank. For cutters who run a saw all day, I understand that plenty of 272s were retired early when the 371s came out because of the vibes.

Conventionally people say a 372 is faster reving and a 272 is more torque. I don't know if the second half of that is really accurate, or just sounds good. (I've run/owned both)

Speaking of sounding good, put a 288 exhaust outlet on the other side of the muffler, and a 272 sounds great. Like really, really great. I don't think the guy bagging on the 272xp's sound from 2013 when this thread was last active has done that.
Thank you.

I can imagine a fresh 272 with muffler mod could fill the power gap between my 562 and 2186 quite nicely.

Hmmm....

Tough choice....

The 272 is simpler in design but doesn't have quite the AV of the 372/371 series saws....

Make sure that you are only comparing the non-strato 372 as well.... They are better in my opinion...

The 272 is easier to service and work on. Seals are easy, good OEM parts are cheap and plentiful.

The 372 is a great saw but more complex and OEM parts are $$$$

What are the price differences between the two builder saws you are looking at?

You say you only want it for firewood, so either saw will last a LOOOONG time with good fuel, maintenance, and proper cleaning and service.

I recently sold a 371xp on here, and I must say it was tough to let that one go, but, I don't cut enough wood to justify keeping a saw that I can sell for that much....

My Jonsereds 630 converted to OEM KS 272 cylinder will be all the saw I should ever need.

Also, don't buy an aftermarket piston and cylinder for a 272, make sure and talk to Spike60, I think I paid ~$120 for my OEM piston and cylinder.

Thank you.

I have the opportunity to buy a 272 frankensaw with an OE jug for pretty reasonable. As you can see by my sig this is a "want" and not a "need" LOL.

Latest posts

Back