Stihl 261 running issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven stern

Tamarrack junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys! My stihl 261 c-m is ticking me off. It starts just as it should runs flawless but when i let it sit after running it is harder than heck to get it to start again! Its not yet 2 years old ( i cant go 2 weeks without it or i would take it in on warranty ) i use stihl premium 2 stroke at 50:1 premium non ethanol gas clean air filter and a 1 year old plug. Any of you guys heard of anything like this? Thanks for any help in advance

Hey guys! My stihl 261 c-m is ticking me off. It starts just as it should runs flawless but when i let it sit after running it is harder than heck to get it to start again! Its not yet 2 years old ( i cant go 2 weeks without it or i would take it in on warranty ) i use stihl premium 2 stroke at 50:1 premium non ethanol gas clean air filter and a 1 year old plug. Any of you guys heard of anything like this? Thanks for any help in advance
So the engine is still warm & you have the lever in the middle slot & it still is hard to start?

I did pull the plug and it had what looked like semiburnt 2 stroked on the plug. But im running at most 40:1 mix. The saw did sit for 7-8 months, i did dump the gas and run fresh stuff

Check the carb and make sure there isn't any saw dust. My 391 was the same way you are describing your 261. Ended up I had a good bit of saw dust in my carb (I even blow off my saws after every use), took it to my saw guy and he cleaned out the carb real good and retuned it and now it rips.

My MS261CM does the same thing when it's very hot outside. What have your temps been like? You can try the solenoid. I got a replacement free from my dealer when Itold him about this. It didn't change anything. The best I can say is try to avoid turning off for more than 1 minute or less than 30 minutes your saw is hot. At least, let it idle a minute or two if you have to. For hot restarts, leave the lever in "run" rather than switching to "start." If it doesn't start on a few pulls, try starting it in "run" while holding the throttle wide open (see page 38 of the Owner's Manual). This works pretty well for me.

Haven't had any problems with my 261C doing this, but my 661 sure does! I'm rather positive that it's flooding so maybe it's the solenoid but I'd rather not use the saw if it's hot enough to cause that issue anyways.

My MS261CM does the same thing when it's very hot outside. What have your temps been like? You can try the solenoid. I got a replacement free from my dealer when Itold him about this. It didn't change anything. The best I can say is try to avoid turning off for more than 1 minute or less than 30 minutes your saw is hot. At least, let it idle a minute or two if you have to. For hot restarts, leave the lever in "run" rather than switching to "start." If it doesn't start on a few pulls, try starting it in "run" while holding the throttle wide open (see page 38 of the Owner's Manual). This works pretty well for me.
This is exactly the advice I would give. Well said. Providing solenoid is good and carb is clean ^^^this is your answer. Its been raining & cold where I am, by the sounds of it you folks are having a hot summer in the US this year.

My 346 was wanting to vapor lock on me the other day and it was only in the 80s. I was having to start it with the throttle open which I don't like doing. It happens, doesn't have to be a computerized carb saw...

I read in here somewhere, prior to starting the saw, engage the chain brake, start the engine, rev it a few times and then release the brake. I read it resets the computer chip in the saw. I've done it a few times and it's worked, even as recent as yesterday.

This sounds like the same issue I am currently having with my 261c-m as well. The dealer just told me this afternoon that they are going to replace the carb and ignition module for me. Luckily mine is under warranty and I just bought a new 461 last week to play with, so I don't NEED mine currently.

Latest posts

Back