25" Bucking saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut the restrictors out and you would like it even more. Hard for me to even think of cutting 20" hardwood with a 60cc saw. Unless that is all I have. The 390 gets used for anything in that range. CJ

I've found with a stock 6100 Dolly that once it was fully broken in, the stock 20" bar often wouldn't load the engine properly in NE hardwood IMO. (With a carefully filed chain, of course.)
So I got a 24" 84 DL, 3/8" pitch bar (what stihl calls 25"). It's happy with that buried in NE hardwood, and noodling sugar maple when buried. The clutch cover of the 6100 is one of the best at clearing the stringy chips from noodling. Of course when I don't need a long bar, a 20" is more maneuverable and safer. When it's useful, it can make you smile. :yes:

If a 20" bar buried in hardwood doesn't load the motor enough, there's a problem somewhere.

A 20" bar on a 90cc saw is the felling setup of choice around the Midwest. Somehow, don't think a task that loggers choose a 90cc saw isn't enough to load your 6100.

365's outcut any 60cc saw in 20" wood in my experience and almost no difference between it and a 372 especially after base gasket delete and muffler mod.

It would make sense if the saw is tuned rich and the load isn't enough to clean up 4 stroking to where it runs strong. But a buried 20" bar should be plenty enough load.

I am unaware of the method of re-tuning your saw by changing out bars.

I am unaware of the method of re-tuning your saw by changing out bars.
Guess what Stihl does with it's "tuning kit" for the Stihl 261. Exchange regular 325/3/8 set up for 3/8mini-picco system => voila tuned saw...

If a 20" bar buried in hardwood doesn't load the motor enough, there's a problem somewhere.

A 20" bar on a 90cc saw is the felling setup of choice around the Midwest. Somehow, don't think a task that loggers choose a 90cc saw isn't enough to load your 6100.
:clap:
As usual @CTYank is divorced from reality. He claims his 6100 is so powerful but he went out and bought a 576 a year later.

Of course I have no way to prove it, but I dare to say that most NA loggers rely primarily on one size saw to do it all, and the majority are 70 to 90 cc. On the other hand, I dare to say more firewood has been cut with 50 to 60 cc saws than all others combined.

I would further dare to say the average professional firewood cutter swings his saws for much longer uninterrupted periods than the average logger while the average logger falls many many many more trees, and large trees more often, than the average firewood cutter. In other words, acceptable saw weight and power will vary accordingly.

Woodchip needs to try a variety of saws if he can and strike his own balance.

Ron

The ms440 is a good do it all saw in my opinion ,falls ,bucks and limbs quick all in one saw .I use it for 50cc chores on up

And HuskStihl ,you are just jealous because spandex make you look fat in them ,and my moped has an 090 jug on it .so yours can't keep up .

Hey woodchip rookie whats your budget if stihl and husqvarnas are expensive? How much wood do you cut a year...the amount will increase when you get a real big pro saw that's enjoyable and fast. Not bashing but if your used to a cheaply made small poulan and craftsman and on a budget the echo cs590 with 5 year warranty seems nice and it seems the 6100 even better. It will feel like a light saber compared to what you have now. If you really want a "noisy, dangerous, chip slinging evil monster" Consider a vintage big cc saw with no chainbrake, an exhaust...not emissions and noise muffler, and sometimes depending on model and year no anti vibration. These old beasts need full awareness and death grip with locked arms and proper stance at all times. Total rush if your into that and these old dinosaurs can be bought at a fraction of a big new saw. I never have money for a new big saw so I buy my big saws on Craigslist and can actually inspect them all over unlike ebay saws. This site has a lot of respectable sellers that are backed up by many members who bought saws if your going to by a used saw.

Husky 365's are usually around 250$ on Craigslist at least in my area or be patient and they can be found on the forum for cheap as well. Not very expensive.....

Latest posts

Back