70e plastic flywheel, 3-D printable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the intake block idea, especially for mating different carbs up to different cylinders. What about those plastic pieces on the carb throttle that the cable linkage connects to? Also choke levers made to fit different carb configurations. Air filter flanges...

I like the intake block idea, especially for mating different carbs up to different cylinders. What about those plastic pieces on the carb throttle that the cable linkage connects to? Also choke levers made to fit different carb configurations. Air filter flanges...
I did try to make an improved carb mount for my 46cc Poulan using the 3D printer. This was the original:
IMG_0603-1024.jpg
And this was the printed part I tried:
IMG_0598-1024.jpg

You can see how the strings left gaps between rows in some spots. There are settings that can be adjusted to improve that somewhat, but it is mostly a consequence of the way this particular printing process works. I think it would need to be coated/painted with something to fill any such voids before being used on an intake part.

I ended up making my modified intake out of aluminum.

Here's an idea that'd be perfect for 3d printing. ...how about a pressure test blocking kit.... seems like once its in the computer, one could print out an entire kit for a whole series of saws easily ... cheap.

I can go outside and machine stuff myself, but why bother if you have a 3d printer and can print these parts .....

btw, that flywheel looks fantastic.... amazing work!

Here's an idea that'd be perfect for 3d printing. ...how about a pressure test blocking kit.... seems like once its in the computer, one could print out an entire kit for a whole series of saws easily ... cheap.

I can go outside and machine stuff myself, but why bother if you have a 3d printer and can print these parts .....
Like the picture I posted above, I don't think it's a good process for making parts that need to be air tight - at least not without some sort of coating to seal the surface. I'm not at all sure what kind of coating would adhere well to the PETG I made that adapter out of, as it's pretty much like a soda bottle.

All materials and processes have their limitations, and this form of 3D printing has plenty. That said, it is still quite useful.

bty,,what happened to bigrichard??? the ideas for current expensive parts,, and nla parts, is near limitless.......................
Still here, I just have been busy with work and family.
I have had a few people ask about printing a few different accessories, most commonly covers. I'm sure Chris (and others) have found its not the printing that is the pain but getting everything modeled up correctly to 3d print. One of the issues in 3d printing is you can't print in thin air, you need the material to be supported to some extent by either the bed, the previous layers that will be part of the final component, or bridge material that gets removed. So large curved hollow parts end up generating an enormous amount of this waste, bridge material which adversely impacts the surface finish of the parts. Also, as shown best in Chris's carb adapter, the surface finish with no extra finishing is no where near as smooth as an injection molded part. I took on woods works part because it was very amenable to being 3d printed and it was hidden so if the surface wasn't glossy smooth there were no aesthetic issues. If people understand these limitations I would be willing to try a few other parts to see what other possibilities are out there.

seems like with a 3d printer it'd be really easy to make blocking plates for lots of different saws very quickly and easily....and sell as a kit. I'm working on a stihl 200t right now and using that muffler as a brace to hold a piece of bicycle tube is just plain silly and unreliable. if I had something that looked like an solid exhaust gasket but in say...1/4" thick plastic...it'd be much easier to install that w/ a corresponding piece of rubber and get a proper seal....

seems like with a 3d printer it'd be really easy to make blocking plates for lots of different saws very quickly and easily....and sell as a kit. I'm working on a stihl 200t right now and using that muffler as a brace to hold a piece of bicycle tube is just plain silly and unreliable. if I had something that looked like an solid exhaust gasket but in say...1/4" thick plastic...it'd be much easier to install that w/ a corresponding piece of rubber and get a proper seal....
Again, look at the carb adapter picture I attempted just up thread. With this process the parts are printed by drawing thin melted strings of plastic - it is not really solid and there are likely to be voids. I think it would be very hard to get it to seal. And drilling a couple of holes in a piece of aluminum is a lot faster anyway. It's just not a good application, whereas the flywheel worked out quite well.

Still need the rubber... not arguing against that ... just would be easier I think to have a plate made out of plastic instead of having to go machine them on my Bridgeport out of aluminum and of course all of this means that I need my own 3d printer just to prove you guys wrong lol

anyway, again, kudos to the flywheel... really nice job....love it.

Still need the rubber... not arguing against that ... just would be easier I think to have a plate made out of plastic instead of having to go machine them on my Bridgeport out of aluminum and of course all of this means that I need my own 3d printer just to prove you guys wrong lol
OK, I see what you meant, and that is doable.

I totally see that the accuracy isn't great, and hoping for a plastic seal isn't happening... but imagine being able to just print these stupid little blocks, and using them instead of trying to fiddle around w/ a clunky muffler, or having to use a carb as the backing plate....

back to the regularly scheduled programming :) sorry to interupt

Put some more time on it sunday. 20-some more cuts in 12'' oak, about a half tank gas. Saw tach-tuned to 10500 rpm, ran over 11500 at times while setting. At this point I'd give an A+ score and would feel good using on a full-time pro saw. These old jony's are more of a shelf queen type used for fun once in a while.

View attachment 398333

Going to bring this back up...any chance any of these have been made to sell yet?

Latest posts

Back