Husqvarna 346XP NE questions - Orange or Silver Clutch cover? Are you sure?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rynosawr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello Gang,

I have recently acquired a 346XP. I also thought it was an OE version when I got it, as it was so dirty and I was in a hurry when I got it, and it has an orange clutch cover. The guy had flooded it trying to start it before I got there and it took a bunch of waiting and several pulls for me to clear it out finally. I was ready to pull the plug but it finally hit and was ready to start after that. I was ready to give up on it, but she fired finally and I was happy to hear another 346 breath life.

I believe that the clutch cover is the original, as I don't see a reason why it would have been replaced by the original owner for aesthetics or any other reasons. The saw has low hours and it is a great runner. The orange clutch cover has very little wear and is similar looking to the rest of the saw, not like a brand new part on a used saw.

After I got it home and started playing with it and looking it over, I was very surprised to find that it has the primer bulb, decomp valve, and the 50cc sticker on the top cover! AWESOME! I didn't even look earlier when I got it.....

I have always heard the saying "Don't look a Gift horse in the mouth", and I feel I have been blessed many more times than I have been hurt when I didn't over analyze a good deal, just took it on faith.

The only other example of an orange cover on a NE version is mentioned and pictured by CapitaineHaddoc here:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/i-just-bought-a-nice-346-xp.253317/#post-4718772

So, what's the consensus? Is the clutch cover on ALL NE versions Silver?

If it is decided/known that they were all silver, does anyone reading this have a good looking used cover they would sell?

I hate to put a new silver cover on it since the rest of the saw is 8.5-9/10, thus the used cover request.

Thanks in advance!

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info all.

I am going to leave it orange!

I need to get it cleaned up and ready to work.....

I just bought an almost perfect Jonsered cs2149 (thanks to J. Walker!!) and I have a 50cc OEM 346 cylinder and piston waiting for it, so this Husky 346xp NE will be sort of redundant.....

I am keeping the J'red no matter what, so we will see what I decide to do with the 346xp NE.

You did well. I've heard of a few NE 346s' coming with orange clutch covers, but not many.

As far as I know it has happened.

Anyway, the clutch cover color just is a vague indication of what the saw likely is, as a lot of owners have been swapping them out/around. There are many more reliable signs to look for - but as those parts also may have been replaced/swapped, the only really "safe" way to tell what it was when it left the factory is the serial number, the last OE ones were 07 19XXXXX, according to the 2007-04 IPL.

Now there were 45cc ones made after that (only for the Japanese market, at least officially), but those still are NE saws.

I just bought an almost perfect Jonsered cs2149 (thanks to J. Walker!!) and I have a 50cc OEM 346 cylinder and piston waiting for it, so this Husky 346xp NE will be sort of redundant.....

I am keeping the J'red no matter what, so we will see what I decide to do with the 346xp NE.
No, not redundant, just an extra. I have 3 runners and 5 more in parts. :)

My guess is for a short period as the model started off there was a few runs with orange covers. Most would prefer them that way, you done good.

I didn't hear about it before much later - but the saws may of course have been in stock somewhere for a while.

Checking the thread on CR. Saw was mailed to me apr-may 2012 and owner had it in 2011 guessing. But still dont know year on the saw.

Here was the sticker on cover.

hdecal346.jpg
NE346001.jpg

As far as I know it has happened.

Anyway, the clutch cover color just is a vague indication of what the saw likely is, as a lot of owners have been swapping them out/around. There are many more reliable signs to look for - but as those parts also may have been replaced/swapped, the only really "safe" way to tell what it was when it left the factory is the serial number, the last OE ones were 07 19XXXXX, according to the 2007-04 IPL.

Now there were 45cc ones made after that (only for the Japanese market, at least officially), but those still are NE saws.

saw troll, if you know of where I can find a a japanese dealer I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 372 tht is causing me some starting issues and need help with it.

Ken Morgan

saw troll, if you know of where I can find a a japanese dealer I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 372 tht is causing me some starting issues and need help with it.

Ken Morgan

Sorry, I can't really help you (as I'm not able to read Japanese) - but I assume there os a Japanese Husky website, and that there is a dealer locator on it?
Edit; There is: http://www.husqvarna.com/jp/dealers/dealer-locator/#cm=default,start-page,local-dealer-locator

My info on the Japan only version of the 346xp is from IPLs, not from any website in Japanese.

Back