Stihl 056 AV electronic -- project in a box!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarlow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OH! I forgot. I just closed the loop on my 028 oiler thread
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...dboss-eq-oiler-problem-service-manual.299474/
but forgot to mention my new acquisition. Seems ripe for a new thread, so...

I was talking Monday afternoon with a neighbor who runs a solo yard maintenance / snow plowing service, and telling him about my 028 adventures, and how much I was enjoying the newly functional saw. In the course of our chat, I mentioned I would love someday to get my hands on a larger saw, and use it with a ripping chain on an Alaskan Mill, or similar, to slice up some of the ash and cherry logs I've been stacking the past couple of years... when he says he has an old 056.

He bought this new in the late 70s, a young kid with a paycheck in his pocket and no responsibilities (yet). He said he used the saw for a while, not much, not too long, a couple years maybe, and loved it. But something happened, he thinks one of the bar collar screws "became loose," and he put it on the "to be repaired" shelf.

He never did get back to it, said he seldom needed that much power for his yard work business, so there it sat.

Then he says, "Let's go see..." and we walked into his shop. He dug thru the mess, and pulled out the saw body, a 24 inch bar w/ chain, and an 18 inch bar w/ chain, and said, "Here, take it. If you can get it running, it's yours." Woot!

So, I have another repair project (for better or worse).

Its badge plate reads "STIHL 056 AV electronic".

No chain break. My neighbor couldn't remember the specifics of the loose collar screw, but said something like, "I always planned to put in a helicoil..." So the hole may be stripped somehow, or the body may be damaged in some way. And then there's all the rest -- oil & fuel tanks, plug, carburator, filters, oil pump, starter rewind rope & spring, what else?? ignition? Seriously. What else? I'm not exactly afraid of diving into the engine, but haven't done so on a single stroke machine before.

Any advice or suggestions, especially specific to this saw and its revival, would be most appreciated.

For sure, I'm going to need the service manual and IPL for this saw. Now that I know where it is, I'll head to the begging thread for that.

Should I take pix and post my progress to this thread? It will likely take quite a while as it's not a priority right now. But that might be fun. And I could certainly use the enncouragement.

~Allen

By all means . . . please do take pics of your progress. Those are the FUN projects - where you just don't quite know what you're going to encounter in the way of stuff to fix!
Depending on the number of years since it was run, the rings could be stuck some what with oil not being as good then.

I said the badge plate reads "STIHL 056 AV electronic". Does the "electronic" part mean electronic ignition? vs. flywheel magneto?
~Allen

Also, I did beg for a Service Manual on the 'beg for manuals' thread. And very helpful arborist 'atpchas' was kind enough to oblige. But as it turns out his scan of the SM is mostly for the 045, and in fact the first few lines read:
upload_2016-8-12_11-43-22.png

It is also a bit tough to make out what is happening in the scanning photos.

So... I am wondering/hoping someone else may have a different scan or copy of the Service/Repair manual for this 056 AV electronic? S/N is E7557138, if that helps at all.

Thank you.
~Allen

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-12_11-42-51.png
    upload_2016-8-12_11-42-51.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back