Forest Helmet, Technical

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newforest

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
So somehow at some point in the late winter I stumbled across an advertisement for a new helmet from Husqvarna - the "Forest Helmet, Technical"

I like the features they brag about - it is vented, and has a newly designed screen.

The price is rather ridiculous, but I do like the idea of a newly designed helmet and I currently need new ones.

At one point I looked on their website and it reported out-of-stock until early July. In early July I tried to order one at a Husqy dealer and he reported his computers says out-of-stock until October. Now on the Husqy website I can't get it to bring up an expected date.

Has anyone seen one of these yet?

On the other hand, the price is too much ($129) for a helmet really and I definitely hate one feature - the ear-muffs are black. I think whoever decided to start making ear-muffs black should have to go out and work on a road construction crew all day while wearing them on a nice hot August day.

My old Pelt0r helmets always had orange ear-muffs.

Recently I checked out the latest Stihl helmet and I really liked the face screen better than on the Pro Forest Husqy helmet I use now. Those don't have enough wrap to the screen and wood chips can hit amazing triple rail bank shots around it. The Stihl helmet is better and this new ,Technical helmet from Husqy has a great looking screen too.

I see at Bailey's some 3M helmets still have orange ear-muffs but they don't look vented. Oregon sells one that seems to be vented and has orange ear-muffs as well but it has 3 db less hearing protection, and that is important to me too.

Is Peltor still in business?

Can I find a vented helmet with a well wrapped/curved face screen, orange ear-muffs (white would be best), and 26 or at least 25 db hearing protection?

Oh, I remembered I could show y'all a picture:

h410-0958.ashx

I have one, you can get them from England shipped conus for less than 100. They are a very nice helmet, atleast compared to my Stihl and Elvex which are garbage in my opinion.

Broke almost immediately.
Held in place by the ear defenders of which one has ceased to retain 'spring' after less than 2 weeks and only several hours use.
The spring is merely a piece of sprung steel very similar in operation to that off the Christmas cracker novelty 'clackers'.
This constantly detaches from the housing which in turn leads to the detachment of the earpiece - hence the helmet doesn't hold in place and becomes useless. 'Reseated' the spring a few times before giving up.
Not fit for purpose and probably made in the Far East for pennies.
Less than a days total use and won't buy Husqvarna helmet again even though I have a Husqvarna chain saw.
Very poor design and not bench tested thoroughly - I have over 40 years experience as a designer and this is one to be ashamed of.
I note that other reviewers in various places have had the same problem.

I have one and like it a lot. I also have one in stock.

Peltor is made by 3M and all the models are black. You can basically cut the NRR in half for real world attenuation for disposable type plugs and 75% for muffs. The higher NRR type muffs are fairly bulky and can get in the way if you are handling brush or are in tree tops. They also add weight to your helmet. Muffs also get hot! I wear a Kask plasma with a Hellberg screen and muffs when running a saw (only for short periods though). It has a styrofoam support and chin strap instead of the hard hat suspender type. It can get hot but I traded the headache from tightening the suspender to keep it on my head. In retrospect I should've just bought a chin strap. Disposable foam earplugs provide better noise attenuation if inserted properly. They are best if inserted and left in place. You don't want to always be screwing around trying to get your plugs in with dirty hands. In most cases people that have to remove their plugs frequently to hear someone speaking to them will not insert them properly. The non-disposable type plugs will have the best performance if fitted properly. Also, NRR is based on the C weighted scale so to determine the actual reduction in noise for human hearing which is based on the A weighted scale you subtract 7 dB from the NRR value. Again, real world you would be looking at about half the listed NRR and for muffs it's more like 75%. When/if I am working out in the heat under the sun for any extended period I will wear plugs because with the muffs my ears will fill with sweat and I'll get overheated.

Got this helmet a year ago. If have to choose right now would choose Pfanner Protos- helmet, even with the higher price it has some options and design which outperform husky tecnical helmet.
RV

Latest posts

Back