• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Ms 880 mag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In4apenny

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Quick version of the history, bought saw new in 2005 for abnormally big trees. I used it very little and it mostly rode around in the bucket truck tool box ( it's not new pretty ). Now keep in mind I used it seldom but it is 11 years old.

The top cover has a crack on the recoil side by the air filter cover from removing it for cleaning. Other than that it's cosmetics are normal for an 11 year old saw with chipped paint, faded plastics, and faded decals.

Good things are 160+ compression, 36" bar with 30 loops of .404 chain that all has a lot of life left in it. Gas tank doesn't leak, oil pump does leak some, and it's never had a rebuild done so no Chinese parts in or on the saw.

I'm selling it because my 660's are lighter and do the job I need them to do since I never run into trees big enough to NEED the 880 here in East Tennessee.

Price is 1200 firm plus shipping for all of it from 37743. I'm going to guess it weighing 80ish pounds due to all the loops of chain. Also, I don't have anything that uses that chain other than this saw so I can't drop the price if you don't want the chain.

I'll take PayPal friends and family or add 3% if not, or a money order. Saw will ship once the funds have cleared and are in my hand. Of course if you're close enough cash works too.

Thanks for reading, Have a blessed day.

How is that there's "wear marks" on what you describe as a "seldom used saw". This saw needs some work. At minimum to figure out what's causing that wear before the top melts down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity did you read all of this thread? It's 11 years old so using it seldom over the course of 11 years doesn't mean not using it at all.

Pistons travel side to side as well as up and down when they travel through their stroke. This causes wear marks on the piston skirt as well as on the cylinder walls. Now, when it's excessive it creates gouges just like if it gets debris between the cylinder wall and piston.

To be crystal clear on my knowledge of engine mechanics and movement. Before I got into tree related work I owned a successful rod and custom shop where almost everything was done in house including engine design, assembly, and testing. It was not then nor is it now uncommon to have areas of the piston that contact the cylinder wall to some degree during there stroke especially if you're turning 10k+ rpm. Taking into account as well that when it is uniform all the way from the bottom of the skirt to the lower ring gland like it is here in these pictures it indicates that the tolerance between the piston and cylinder wall is tight and consistent. Lastly it holds 160+psi compression, now I would think that if there were damage it would be far less than that.

Just because I know it's going to be said, I had a catastrophic problem within my immediate family and had to relocate closer to where I'm from here in East Tennessee. That is why I sold the business and no longer do automotive related work. I started doing tree work and fell in love with it so I continue doing it now.

Bring on the haters. :)

Must of my well used saws show some wear. And still work awesome.. if I didn't already have a freshly built 084 , 2 075's, a 661 coming. I probably would be hitting you up.
30 loopsof chain. What 30$ a loop?
Stihl is like 60$ for a 36"loop.
So 30 loops at 30$ is 900$ so 300 plus shipping for the 880 ?? Sounds like a heck of a deal

I thought it was a really fair price too. Not the best time of year to sell saws or the easiest saw to sell.

I've got a 1979 038 super that's never been opened up and still outruns one of my friends 460. Both running 25" bars and full comp chisel chain. Love that saw, wish it wasn't so freaking heavy though lol. I swear it weighs just about as much as the 880 does.

I was hateing on our dog of an old used 460 .. my Miller modded 044 outcut it 2 to 1..
Then I replaced the air filter on the 460 it was like a new saw :)
never used a 38mag but had a 38 super..

Must of my well used saws show some wear. And still work awesome.. if I didn't already have a freshly built 084 , 2 075's, a 661 coming. I probably would be hitting you up.
30 loopsof chain. What 30$ a loop?
Stihl is like 60$ for a 36"loop.
So 30 loops at 30$ is 900$ so 300 plus shipping for the 880 ?? Sounds like a heck of a deal

Does that mean I can buy the 880 (PHO) for $300 plus shipping? I doubt it.

30 loops of 36" chains. **Yikes!!!**

I once believed that plenty of extra chains was the way to go. My full skip on my 290 is on its 3rd year of active service and still has lots of life left.

Found a new toy I want, I'll drop the price to 1150.00 shipped to the contigual US. I've got until Friday September 9th to get this or one of my other toys sold. Once I get one sold the price will go back up to 1200.00 plus shipping.

Two of the pics are of the same bundle of loops but I'm not sure which ones though. Just wanted everyone to know.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    799.6 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    763.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    953.2 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg