Dang! Rakers Too Low?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guess I got carried away with a 25" chain with 84 DLs for my Stihl 046 and dropped the rakers too low last time I sharpened. Rats! It bogs the saw down as it cuts, especially in big logs that it should be plowing right through. The chain's cutters still have about half their life left.

I figure the depth gauge setting is sitting on about 0.033" and should be about 0.025". Looks like that's enough to cause the problem. So, should I throw the chain away or grind the cutters down a bunch? TIA.

that doesn't sound like so much that you couldn't hold back on the saw a little to let it pull itself through unless there's to much hook on the cutters. then would be grabby.

Is it jerking and grabbing?
Yes, that's exactly right--jerking and grabbing, especially in hardwood like ash and oak. The cutters are sharp. I used a 3/16" disk on the Oregon 511a to grind them with a 33-degree top plate angle, 55-degree cutting slant angle and 10-degree dip (file guide) angle. I've had no trouble with any other chain, but this time I got carried away with the depth gauge drop.

Based on what's been said here, looks like I just need to take more off the cutters and leave the rakers alone for awhile. Seem like a plan? I hate throwing out chains prematurely. I also tried the same chain on my Makita 6401 and it had trouble with it also. Same symptoms.

Save it for softwood, if you think you'll ever encounter any.
That may be my best bet. I have loads of cottonwood, linden, and willow to cut. The chain seems to be working well enough on that stuff to use.

BTW, I checked the depth gauge settings again and found several between .040" and 0.045". I must have had a few too many Bud Lights the night I sharpened it. Never again.

Teeth @ half length. 030-.035 should be about right. Why 33*? Try 25*. Just grind back the several teeth you found with the .045 rakers.

Might be a chain to set aside and use if you know you're gonna be cutting dirty. Stump, dirty wood etc.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Are you any good at brazing?

CR888's idea of de-tuning the cutters is interesting. Not sure if it would work.

Grinding back the cutters is always an option if the other things fail.

Philbert

Back