MS461 Piston failure diagnosis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gas tank and cylinder ok!

Maybe not, I had a 460 that looked exactly like that and the pressure put on the muffler was enough to put two large cracks in the exhaust port and you could wiggle the muffler without removing the screws/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get to take that 460 home? Id keep that, there are just so many parts that are salvageable. Id take every screw off that carcass, by the time i was done it would look like the Thanksgiving turkey
Oh yes!
I always strip them down. Them screws cost money. -Not to mention the little parts that will come in handy someday.
I actually had another customers 460 that needed the cylinder & piston from two days prior.

Are those plating chips above and below the ex port, or is that an illusion?

Combination of illusion and some carbon because of the angle of the pic. Other than the vertical streaks, nothing looks unusual, which surprises me given that there was a 3/4" long piece of piston that had to go somewhere, lol. I'm guessing it went into the muffler & previous owner or a shop pulled the muff and found it. Who knows.

Combination of illusion and some carbon because of the angle of the pic. Other than the vertical streaks, nothing looks unusual, which surprises me given that there was a 3/4" long piece of piston that had to go somewhere, lol. I'm guessing it went into the muffler & previous owner or a shop pulled the muff and found it. Who knows.
Out the muffler!

Latest posts

Back