395xp Broken Flywheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky187

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, stupidity struck again. So to start off I noticed that near the oil adjustment screw it tended to be weeping oil from the general area, so I figured simple fix, pop the clutch off, pull the oiler and check the seals. Unfortunately it turned into a nightmare. I initially tried the rope technique into the piston while wrenching on the clutch but no go after several attempts. Then I noticed the 13mm nut on the flywheel and figured that a littler opposite but equal force should have this clutch off in no time. Again no luck and just when I thought I felt give, snap the bolt breaks loose.

Basically is this now the process of having to go and swap out the entire crank in order to get the threads for the flywheel to be properly affixed again? It seems like the only solid fix, considering welding it on would just band-aid it, and I also wouldn't feel too comfortable with the better part of 12k+ rpms spinning around there. Any info from the community would be greatly appreciated, as well as why my darn clutch wouldn't budge coming off. Picture posted below of the damage. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
You're going to need a new crank.

Welding would work but you would need to true it up after welding that. By the time you go through all of that trouble it may bust off again.

Used cranks are pretty reasonable price wise.

You're going to need a new crank.

Welding would work but you would need to true it up after welding that. By the time you go through all of that trouble it may bust off again.

Used cranks are pretty reasonable price wise.

Any idea on the difficulty of the job? I assume it's a matter of splitting the case?

It's not difficult. You just need to remove some screws and push the case halfs apart. The crank then can be pushed out.

If you don't have a crank case splitter you can use heat if your careful not to melt anything.

There's probably a few hundred posts on here where guys have fabbed up crank case splitters from anything from angle strut that work with 2 jaw pullers all the way to building their own copies of the oem tools.

It's not difficult. You just need to remove some screws and push the case halfs apart. The crank then can be pushed out.

If you don't have a crank case splitter you can use heat if your careful not to melt anything.

There's probably a few hundred posts on here where guys have fabbed up crank case splitters from anything from angle strut that work with 2 jaw pullers all the way to building their own copies of the oem tools.

Yeah, I'll do my research on tackling the project. Thanks for the help.

Anyone know what the torque specs will be on everything that will be getting torn down and put back together, or at least point me in the right direction for them? Much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back