How to clean a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint Mitch

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone..

I'm fairly new to saws and am wondering how you clean your saws. I currently do not have an air compressor, so it is alot of wiping and scraping with toothpicks or various small tools. I'm talking about what is under the clutch cover, it seems t build up fastIMG_20160827_211835053.jpg

Thanks!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Blow off with compressor is as fussy as I get. Even a cheap $60 compressor from Harbor Freight would work fine for blowing off saws and pumping tires.
Like this one:
this HTML class. Value is http://m.harborfreig

Can also just knock off the worst of it with a screwdriver and rag.

Be careful with solvents and degresers, many are caustic to aluminium and plastic.

I have tried canned air but the pressure just isn't there

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You can even spray the saw with some WD40 after to give the saw some shine
Brings them up real nice and gives the plastic surfaces a protective layer

The compressor is next on my purchase list.. I'm not a fan of WD 40, but I can see using it this way!!

Been there. As cgraham1 says, just get the main stuff and move on.

That wasn't what you wanted to hear, but if you want to have a pretty saw, a compressor is required. Sure, toothbrushes, Qtips, paintbrushes and toothpicks will work, but you'll spend 15 mins doing half as much as a compressor will in 15 seconds.

I use a plastic putty knife. Takes 15 seconds flat. Then I hit with air...I'd rather not have big chunks flying around with any speed.

Blue paper shop towels......pull the clutch cover off, remove bar and chain, wipe down bar, and hang up. Couple more shop towels to wipe out clutch cover over garbage can, and then the same treatment on the clutch side of the case.

You can get a cheap compressor from Harbor Freight for $40. I carry one around in my truck to use for air powered nailers/staplers. They don't have much tank but for a few seconds of blast air here and there they do fine. Also good to inflate tires. Everyone has tires that should get inflated regularly. Of course in my shop I have a large air compressor and 120 gallons of air storage that meets those additional needs.

Latest posts

Back