How to clean a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been there. As cgraham1 says, just get the main stuff and move on.

That wasn't what you wanted to hear, but if you want to have a pretty saw, a compressor is required. Sure, toothbrushes, Qtips, paintbrushes and toothpicks will work, but you'll spend 15 mins doing half as much as a compressor will in 15 seconds.

Actually I said that.

I wipe my saws exterior down with a cotton cloth.
Underneath the clutch cover I loosen any larger accumulation of oily wood with the scrench and shake it out, the clutch drum and any accessible surfaces underneath the cover get also wiped down with said cotton cloth.

That is as far as I go with cleaning my saws.
I see oil on my saws surfaces as a protective layer!

Having a sharp chain making big chips will also help prevent saw dust accumulation.

I realize that the OP stated that he doesn't have an air compressor, so you are limited to canned air and brushes. When you are able to secure your air compressor, you will find that compressed air with a needle nozzle really works well. Follow that up with a rag/cloth. I have never needed any more than that...unless there was pine sap on the case. Then a little automotive sap/tar remover and I was good-to-go.

JQ

I third the idea of just scraping out the worst of it with your scrench and calling it a day. BTW, the most effecient way I have found of cleaning crustly chainsaws is in an oil drain pan with some gas and a soft bristle hairbrush. Just don't smoke!

Actually you just told the OP what you do, which is something he can't do right now.

I profusely apologize for giving the glory of Arboristsite affirmation to someone who posted an actual response to the OP.

I thought I provided pretty good info. I'm not even seeing a post by cgraham.

BTW, the most efficient way I have found of cleaning crusty chainsaws is in an oil drain pan with some gas and a soft bristle hairbrush. Just don't smoke!
I used to use old pre-mix gas which works o.k. but you have to be concerned with the explosion hazard and it does evaporate relatively quickly and stop cleaning. It also will condense water in it during humid conditions.

I now use kerosene/diesel (same as Gunk Engine Brite). It is non-explosive, evaporates slowly and works surprisingly well. I then rinse with a hose (ports are sealed) and finsih with Mean Green or similar with an old paint brush followed by a final rinse.

Best thing I've found to get the crud out is a denture cleaning brush. Pretty stiff, pretty cheap and then they have this little nub of bristles on the back for small spots. If I'm really cleaning it up, I pull all the covers and throw them in the dishwasher, no heat dry. The dishwasher thing is defendant on your relationship with your wife though.

Latest posts

Back