Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'll sit this one out...not crazy about the 660 saws anyway, I'm more the 346XP type...Now if they have a MS390 kit at a lower price I might be interested. I think they already have all the parts for a MS390 just not sure they're in a kit.

The MS360 kit looks yummy to me. And, much more useful in the long run.

Maybe next month. The Visa bill you know.[emoji16]

The MS360 kit looks yummy to me. And, much more useful in the long run.

Maybe next month. The Visa bill you know.[emoji16]
I already have an 034 converted to 036 and a 361. Actually I have 2 390 saws too and a 290 so I'm pretty good in the medium size saw category..
One of my favorite saws to use is my MS280 but I don't hear much about them..

It's a real bummer that shipping adds another $100 to the cost.
It'd certainly be great if the shipping weren't so high, but $240 isn't too shabby.. even if you have to build it yourself :) It seems a going rate for even a 20 year old 066 is up around $500-600.

It'd certainly be great if the shipping weren't so high, but $240 isn't too shabby.. even if you have to build it yourself :) It seems a going rate for even a 20 year old 066 is up around $500-600.
The problem is when people find out that it's all Chinese parts it's not worth that much to them. A lot of buyers insist on all OEM parts and may not pay much if it has an AM piston and cylinder.

If you leave aside the possible ethics of building and selling a clone of a real product there really isn't much difference from the real deal as in it's assembled in the USA from foreign parts. There are some fit and finish issues, I suspect there are some differences in the quality of materials, I'd also bet that fixing those items up front in manufacturing/parts spec would only add about $60 to the overall cost of the kit.

If I were to build and sell one of these I'd darned sure make 100% certain that folks understood that this is not a Stihl product, I would not put the MS660 badge on it and candidly I'd like it better if it came in different colors. I'm not certain how the mfg gets away with not being sued for using the same color scheme as a violation of Trade Dress.

there really isn't much difference from the real deal as in it's assembled in the USA from foreign parts

:laugh:

I'm pretty sure I recognise the badge on the pics of the plastic up-thread as being the same as the one in this thread. Interestingly, the seller was quoted in there as stating it was a "genuine Stihl", so perhaps they were using the same logic?

I think there are two versions of the cloning at least, you have the kind where US and other countries build their items in China using the same material and blueprints, supervised by the company, like at home then there are the pirates who take it on themselves to build an item using cheap materials and copying the original. One way is authorized by the company and the other is not. I don't know if Huztl falls into either category since their products don't actually have a "Stihl" label on them. Most of their packages are labeled "Farmer tech".

Huztl seems to only make parts for saws that are out of production. Am I right? So it will be a long time before we see any ms 261 parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huztl seems to only make parts for saws that are out of production. Am I right? So it will be a long time before we see any ms 261 parts?

It seems they only make parts for popular saws. If they considered it worthwhile they would build parts for a Wild Thing...Their jury is probably still out on the 261. I didn't see any parts for my MS280 either..

That makes since, I'm just going to hold onto my saw until then or until I find a junker. My saw has a good cylinder and piston but I need several parts.

I wish I had the money to jump in on this. But with having a 3yr old and a 4yr old, priorities make them the important thing. And I really have no need for a saw of this size, for the cutting that I do. But it sure would be nice to have it. I have been following this thread since it was started. Very interested in how these saws turn out.

:laugh:

I'm pretty sure I recognise the badge on the pics of the plastic up-thread as being the same as the one in this thread. Interestingly, the seller was quoted in there as stating it was a "genuine Stihl", so perhaps they were using the same logic?

No, I'm pretty sure that guy is a straight up liar and should know better. Remember I wasn't trying to make a qualitative comparison. I'm not sure that anyone has established longevity on these...and as I've said above there are some very distinct qualitative differences already apparent in the plastic and the machining. Now with that said, it may be completely fit for use and fit for purpose but only time will tell that. I know I likely won't ever come close to wearing it out and from that perspective I think it's a pretty damned good deal on a saw that's "good enough" for my needs.

No, I'm pretty sure that guy is a straight up liar and should know better. Remember I wasn't trying to make a qualitative comparison. I'm not sure that anyone has established longevity on these...and as I've said above there are some very distinct qualitative differences already apparent in the plastic and the machining. Now with that said, it may be completely fit for use and fit for purpose but only time will tell that. I know I likely won't ever come close to wearing it out and from that perspective I think it's a pretty damned good deal on a saw that's "good enough" for my needs.
Unless you happen to get a defective part the saw would be well above anythiing you would need unless you're a logger, then you might want to stick with original.

Watching this thread. I used heat differential method & a press to put things together. Had no issues. On the 54mm cylinder I just cleaned up the intake to make it symmetric and the edges of the transfers need help. The 56mm was a better looking casting but had a mild Freeport issues because they shortened the piston shirts. .;) both sides...and they do run despite all the gnashing of theeth. Have run the bearings and seals that came with the cases this last year. No issues. Have to say my cylinders were better than the one in that pic!

I havee a couple 54mm topends yanked in favor of the 56mm versions. ;) I'll look and see if they are as bad. One thing i find its interesting is some of the commentary ...at this price point its easy to over analysis... if your not comfortable with the concept... their are so many options why waste time considering and analysing? I had a lot of fun with them. I also went into it expecting to have problems to solve. That was part of the challenge. What I ended up with far surpassed my expectations. Even with the warts. Looks like you folks will beat the 400 Mark I was shooting for....and think about what you will have learned and the class of capability in that machine. The comparisons with OEM is a bit rediculous unless you can buy a 90cc oem saw for the same money and the volumn of these won't impact sales of the true oem pro level saws simply because 1000 bucks isnt enough more to make it worth the risk! So whats left are saw geeks like us often with way too many saws already...;)

Im looking forward to what you folks produce. Makes me feel more sane seeing others launch off the cliff.... :)

Latest posts

Back