Stihl 056 super mag... good gift or pass?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katedyer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
getting a gift for my other half. Wondering if the 056 Super Mag is a good choice, or if there are other saws that might be better.

They're pretty old by today's standards. Parts availability is the biggest issue. If he's a vintage saw collector he'd like the gift.

What's his primary need for a saw? Firewood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primary is nostalgia and tinkering, The saw I'm looking at runs now. He can service his own saw ( I plan on acquiring more of the same for parts)

$350 is not unresaonable at all. I sold a non mag 056 for $500 not to long ago. I don't know exactly how you would verify this but those saws have a very common problem of the ignition systems failing once the saw gets warmed up. For $350 I would want some assurance your saw is good. Maybe someone will be along with more info.

I plan to start and run the saw for a little bit of time. He did say that there is an issue with the fuel line. I called my local saw shop and explained to him the issue and he said it was competely fixable.

I really like mine it isn't a magnum though. But I ran into a parts issue for deep down parts like crank bearings. But cool old beast none the less. Vintage stihl parts are high also.

If it just needs the fuel line itself that's a 30 second repair. Can still get them from stihl just put a new line and filter on mine. One thing I would suggest see if seller will take muffler cover off and look at the piston and cylinder wall to make sure there's no scoring. If they refuse to that mite tell you something right there.

350 isn't unfair for that saw, but this day and age 350 bucks is a lot of money. I'd hate to see anyone get burned.

So i was going to pick this up solo but it turns out he'll be coming with me now, so he can scope it all out. Which kind of ruins the surprise but at least he'll get a good look at it before its purchased. Thank you all so much for the help. You guys are freaking awesome.

Latest posts

Back