What does my plug tell you

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildman ben

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Judging from these pictures how does it look, the one side looks decent maybe a little overheated, but the other side has that black build up on it.
8d0976a6fac49219aff71242a396824e.jpg
1d6ef46eabadbb45f63b99f79dd77503.jpg
5fcc62508276894eeccef7437d4aa9cf.jpg
c12f5eeb7c3bfec587edc75d613c5f38.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Idk maybe it's just me and to each their own, I'm not here to bash anybody but as long as my saw is in good condition mechanically, starts and runs good and is tuned to perfection I don't worry about what the plug looks like when I change it, now there are definitely problems you can confirm by plug condition, but it's not like in automotive applications where any discoloration or foreign material built up on it is a sign of a problem, these are two stroke engines and are burning "foreign material" every time it goes bang, and like brad said it just looks like a used plug.

I"ve never considered a plug chop on a saw to be accurate as unlike a bike /auto it doesn't have a clutch That you have control over so on killing the spark a saw runs on by design so is not a true reading also the design of a saw diaphragm carb in most cases cannot have the adjustment afforded by a more sophisticated carb the 4 stroking out & cleaning up & 2 stroking in the cut is a more accurate setting than plug colour.

That dirt must have fallen into the cylinder when taking out, juging by the amount of dirt on the outside "nut" of the spark plug.

You should replace the plug... besides considering oil quality, mix ratio and/or saw operation (not enough sustained WOT/load). With pump fuel reading plugs is near useless. You should start with a fresh plug and kill the engine while at WOT under load. Also you're looking at the base of the porcelain not near the tip.

Back