Steamers...who uses them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody use a steamer on top of their stove? Is it actually effective putting moisture back into the air? I keep reading lots of contradictory opinions on if they actually do anything or not. For those that use them, is a trivet necessary between the stove and steamer? Looking at one made from cast iron btw.

Thanks!

I have a steamer and a trivet. It feel like it makes a difference for me. They are nice to have and really help me from waking up in the middle of the night with cotton mouth.

I just set a big kettle of water on mine but the stove is a "circulator" so the kettle sets on a grate several inches above the firebox.

I just keep a big stockpot of water on my stove. It evaporates daily. I don't use a trivet and the pot has left a ring on the stovetop but that doesn't really concern me. It makes a difference but IMHO the house could still use more humidity in the wintertime. I couldn't imagine using something smaller than a stockpot. You'd have to fill it every few hours.

I can tell when the pot is empty because every time I touch a door handle I get shocked.

Wow.

A cast iron kettle on my stove is generally enough in my house to keep humidity around 35-40%. It holds around a gallon and gave to fill every other day or so.

I have a 40qt stock pot setting on my stove. I had to set it on some firebrick to keep it from boiling dry. Water temp stays around 180* If I let the pot sit directly on the stove, it will boil dry. If I put the cap on the stock pot, the 180* temps seems to be just about right for my condenser.

They work well as humidifiers. We've been using a cast teakettle and trivet for years. Got 'em at TSC. Depending on how dry the place gets the SheWolf may add a couple of 406 stainless water containers. Those will boil dry but it hasn't affected them.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a unique steamer? Was going to get one for my uncle for Christmas.

Just to be a little different, pending on how big your flat spot is, you could use a Dutch Oven, with feet. Plus, you could cook in it if the power goes out. Nothing better than a peach cobbler in a Dutch Oven. I've had several tea kettles, plain black cast iron, blue enamel cast. Since cast iron needs molds, finding something new that's unique, may be hard. Hit some old farm auctions for old cast stuff, as long as it holds water it should work, even a big cast frying pan, would need refilling a lot, but a little different. I have an old sausage stuffer that's cast. I thought about threading the hole the sausage comes out and putting a plug in it. My wife didn't like that idea. I'm going to a big farm auction in a couple weeks, I'll take pics of anything that looks like it will work, that looks nice also, Joe.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a unique steamer? Was going to get one for my uncle for Christmas.
@svk We bought this steamer a number of years ago from the stove company we bought our Jotul from. It is some kind of stone. I can get a better picture of the steamer.
DSC01523.JPG DSC01524.JPG

Back