Capstan rope Winch. Worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isna

Logging and sharing it (teaching)
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We have a powerful winch linked to a 90cc chainsaw (forgot the brand, will check tomorrow). That thing is super powerful but bulky, really heavy and not really reliable (designed for power but not really to be handled around in the woods). For these reasons, we are thinking about getting (also) a capstan rope winch. Who uses them? What for? What do you think of them?

Capstan rope winch ~ useful tool to have

I bought a 2-stroke powered capstan winch for ~ $800 and have found it very useful. It lifts limbs effortlessly and has pulled a very large stump up through the woods for natural disposal.

I have not had to pull a stuck vehicle out with it, but it definitely has the power to do it should the need arise. If you are a deer hunter I can see it being very good at getting a big deer out of inaccessible spots.

The newer ones I've seen now use a Honda 4-stroke, but cost closer to $2k than $1k but if you get one you will find many uses for it.

I have both models - the one using a chainsaw powerhead rigs up quickly, but is more "messy" (needs bar oil to lube the chain driving it). Also, it is certainly not designed to do lot clearing. I use an old o28 to power it. Made a mistake using an old 044 once, and too much power did bad things to the winch innards, but while it did run for a short while, it had tons of power!

The Honda 4-stroke powered capstan is the best tree thing I've bought in a few years. You will not like it much unless you get the optional tree mount. It is heavier, more bulky, takes longer to set up, but has more power than the chainsaw capstan, and you can run it hour after hour. The Honda starts on the first pull, and is quiet.

I have both models - the one using a chainsaw powerhead rigs up quickly, but is more "messy" (needs bar oil to lube the chain driving it). Also, it is certainly not designed to do lot clearing. I use an old o28 to power it. Made a mistake using an old 044 once, and too much power did bad things to the winch innards, but while it did run for a short while, it had tons of power!

The Honda 4-stroke powered capstan is the best tree thing I've bought in a few years. You will not like it much unless you get the optional tree mount. It is heavier, more bulky, takes longer to set up, but has more power than the chainsaw capstan, and you can run it hour after hour. The Honda starts on the first pull, and is quiet.

Bumping this old thread....someone elsewhere was asking about the winches, and google brought me here..and to a later AS thread which you also commented on, but I'm not finding it right now.

My Simpson winch was stolen 2 years ago, along with the 034 Super mounted to it.... groan. Now I see the Simpson is up to $750, but the smaller Portable Winch is actually close, if bought in Canada. And, the next model up is only about $1050 USD. Others, including Reg Coates, like the winch....and I can see that it is better than the Simpson......

I got mine for $300 from Tom Dunlap years ago, modded it for bi-directional use. Took an alder off a house in three cuts, hung a 90 foot leaning bitter cherry... Then I got a Hobbs and GRCS.... two years ago, an ex-employee druggie who hadn't been seen in 5 years stole it and a bunch of other gear. DAMN! I also used it with an 044, as we did on Gerry Beranek's 2003 Tree House Project, where it was used to yard as many as six arborists into the tree.... which is how many were up there for two days of deadwooding and end weight reduction--the largest tree that has ever been fully pruned..at 250 feet and over 20 feet in diameter..AND 3 feet at its broken top

I had my Warn winch with a 30 cc Echo saw engine on it for 13 years now, very reliable and light weight, paid 800 for it back then. pulls 1700 LB single and 3400 double. Once a while I wish for a more powerful one, but not very often.

Back