is a 268xp really better than a regular 268?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Bondeson

chainsaw guru
Reaction score
i am buying a 1995 268 from my local dealer and a bunch of friends told me i should try to find a 268xp instead but really don't see where it is so much better than the regular 268 any help with expanding my knowlage in this department thanks:happybanana:

You could always do like this one and put a 272 topend on it down the road. ;)

clinton268272xp003.jpg

You will notice a difference between the two. Both saws being healthy, the 268xp will out cut he 268. Not by a huge margin, but in my opinion, an amount that is noticeable.

If your getting the saw in the $200 price range IMO buy it. It will cut wood and a second or 2 longer in the cut wont matter.

Just like I prefer my quad port closed port poulan 71cc over my single transfer style closed port 77cc 83cc poulans. It dont really matter IMO cutting wood. Just my preference.

I'm not into these series of saws. So correct me if I give wrong info here.

268 open port cylinder
268xp closed port cylinder

True, and the power specs are 3.5 kW/4.8 hp for the xp, and the 3.2 kW/4.4 hp for the later non-xp one. A little more rpm for the xp as well, but not a major difference.

When the 268xp was replaced by the 272xp in 1991, they started making the non-xp 268 as well, using the open-port top end from the 66.
Briefly there was a 268 Special as well, that really was continued production of the 268xp.

True, and the power specs are 3.5 kW/4.8 hp for the xp, and the 3.2 kW/4.4 hp for the later non-xp one. A little more rpm for the xp as well, but not a major difference.

When the 268xp was replaced by the 272xp in 1991, they started making the non-xp 268 as well, using the open-port top end from the 66.
Briefly there was a 268 Special as well, that really was continued production of the 268xp.
ok i'm a little confused mine is a 1995 so what ar my specs?

thanks for all your help guys and btw im getting it for $350 but it is BRAND NEW has had less than 20 tanks through it if that!!!!!
I would hardly call a saw that's had something like 20 tanks of fuel through BRAND NEW or barely broken in, but it does sound like a nice saw.

I still have the 268xp I bought new, and other than it could use a compression release for easier starting, it's been a pretty good saw.

SR

Back