New firewood trailer!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been lucky since I bought Ol' Red from dad haven't had to worry about deer with a straight pipe on the 460!

Wonder why it's so tall? We have 2 F450s, one has a Quigley 4x4 conversion, the other is 2wd. Neither are that tall.
The guy said it was a 450 that's all I know. I thought it seemed tall as well. There are extra channel irons on the frame rails don't know it that makes a difference or not.

Those rails are pretty common, the one F450 has that same setup. Knap Hoist on it. The other ones are flatbeds right now, will convert to dumpers soon.

Just seemed really tall. What is the deck height? I'd have to measure mine but I think it's around 38-40". I know my big dump truck is 48" (10 wheeler)

After measuring the trailer it's 51" to the deck. It is kind of odd that it's so tall but maybe the guy gave me a B.S. story and I have no idea what I've got. I agreed that it's at least an F450 beings it's a ten lug wheel.

I was wondering if you could put the springs under the axle to drop the height. You might have to weld on new perches and bend the tongue up some. That height would wear me out if I were hand loading big stuff. Sounds like a good idea to get electric over hydraulic brakes. Surge brakes can be scary on ice, and they can mess you up when trying to back up. That trailer should handle some big loads!

I have a pin that I can put in to stop the surge brake from braking on my trailer when I back up. Honestly do not ever feel like I need it.

It could also be an F550, or a 4x4 F450. I think the 4x4s were higher. But ramps work too. Just make some that you can stick on the sides when traveling.

A spring under conversion may not work as well as you think @PSUplowboy, you would have the axle smacking into the frame if it is set up like most Fords. But, the smaller pickups have a lift block between the springs and the axles. Remove that and drop it down 2 or 4 inches. Don't have to worry about pinion angle since it wont be driven anymore so you can totally remove the block without issue. Reasonably sure the 450s and 550s are the same way.

Hah! Must have been a 4x4 truck. That should help a lot. I bet lower profile tires would help too, but those things are money.

Yeah the tires are still in pretty good shape so I can't really justify the low pro tires, well the wife wouldn't understand the justification. Maybe I should make her throw a load of firewood in there she might rethink that!

I have a pin that I can put in to stop the surge brake from braking on my trailer when I back up. Honestly do not ever feel like I need it.

It could also be an F550, or a 4x4 F450. I think the 4x4s were higher. But ramps work too. Just make some that you can stick on the sides when traveling.

A spring under conversion may not work as well as you think @PSUplowboy, you would have the axle smacking into the frame if it is set up like most Fords. But, the smaller pickups have a lift block between the springs and the axles. Remove that and drop it down 2 or 4 inches. Don't have to worry about pinion angle since it wont be driven anymore so you can totally remove the block without issue. Reasonably sure the 450s and 550s are the same way.

Yeah just wondered - can't tell without seeing it. I'm sure there's a way or two, pinion angles out the window without a driveshaft.

I just guessed, honestly. All the 250s to 550s share the same basic layout and suspension component designs, so figured it would have blocks.

Back