Homelite chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No face 243

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give more information on homelite saws they r all over my local CL. Personally I have 2 a super 2 that my one year old helped me clean up and put back together and a 450. Who manufactures them and are they really worth anything besides sentimental value?

That 450 can be a very strong runner when healthy. Check that the intake boot hasn't turned to goo and be sure that the divider between the fuel mix and bar oil tanks is intact. After that it's just spark, comp, carb, seals. Motor parts are not too hard to get but it took me a while to find a new fuel/oil tank. Good luck with it.

Homelite/textron made Homelite chainsaws. They were not rebadged. I forget everything I have learned but im pretty sure they were always American made until the early 90's. I think they were produced out of New York. Any Homelite now is cheap but they were once a great company. They made some amazing saws back in the day and your 450 is a good one in my opinion. I don't like to talk value but they have some models that fetch a pretty penny. Sentimental value is high on Homelites for many including me. Same with Mccullochs. A lot of us remember our fathers or grandfathers running blue, red or yellow saws.

Someone on here once said that Homelites have probably cut more firewood than any other brand.

Every one I've owned has been dead reliable and easy to work on.

My father in law has always been a Stihl guy, but even he had to admit that my XL925 with 24" buried in red oak got the job done without breaking a sweat.

Can anyone give more information on homelite saws they r all over my local CL. Personally I have 2 a super 2 that my one year old helped me clean up and put back together and a 450. Who manufactures them and are they really worth anything besides sentimental value?

There's a thread here just for Homelite saws in the stickies, where all the Homelite guys hang out. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/homelite-chainsaws.101147/
The 450 was considered a pro grade saw. They were discontinued in 1981. The super 2 was a homeowner grade saw. They were discontinued in the early 1990s. What else do you want to know?

That's what I was looking for but I just kinda feel behind cuz all my saws are vintage lol, but I really like how they are made. Not a huge fan of plastic body saws. They just one
Don't feel as sturdy. The 450 is awesome it's almost like a piece of man art, the stihl 015 I have is nice and strong, and my super 2 is easy to work on and my son loves going and looking at the saws and watching me use my spark tester on the saw. He is always asking to go see the neat thing

Here's what one of my XL1's did today. This burr oak was 16 inches at the base and actually thicker where it branched off. No problems for the Homelite, I have a full chisel chain on it and there was no problem burying the bar, you just let it drop through. Even by today's standards this saw is still competitive in power to saws of similar displacement, it's even a pound lighter than my Uncle's 024av super. Two hours and one liter of mixed gas later, this tree was cleared away and cut to lengths. I cut the thick lengths to 16" thinking I could pick them up then. NO CHANCE!
I'm going to have to roll them into the tractor bucket and drop them at the wood splitter, which has a crane.

2016_1017_032522_001 (Large).JPG 2016_1017_032533_002 (Large).JPG

I'm looking for a set of bucking spikes for my homelite 450, does anyone have any for sale?
Try ebay. Should be some very aggressive spikes for sale right now at a decent price. They are a lot longer than my original spikes on my 750 from the east coast. Might be a west coast copy or custom spikes. If they aren't made out of cheap thin metal they should do the trick for ya.

Back