How long have you been running a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been running a saw since I was young teens, but I've been collecting for 5 years now, not nearly as long as most people though.
ADLM

I've been cutting for 20-25 years. I didn't get started until my mid 20s.
that's ok there are a lot of late bloomers out there but then again iv been told i started way to early a lot of people don't even believe i run chainsaw semi professionally at my age but whatever i'm not in it for the glory so they can believe whatever they want i do what i do i love it:chainsaw::chainsaw::chop::chop:

Well Brandon, I was 12 years old too when Dad let me run the Homelite C51 for the first time. He was there with me coaching me, "Don't forget to pump the oiler!....Keep the chain moving...Let the saw do the work, don't ride it, it's not a motorcycle....keep it out of the dirt!!!" That was 40 years ago...and, even today, my Dad still has a word or two of wisdom to offer me every now and then! :D

I started to run saws in 2008, doing ground work for a snow removal company that dabbled in tree service in the summers. I worked for that company until 2011. Then 3 years ago I started burning wood when my wife and I purchased our house. Since then I cut 4-6 cords for myself and help cut another 10-15 cord each year for the farmer where I hunt.

So about 8 years... Still have a lot to learn.

Aaron

In 1966 I was 14 years old living in a small farming community in South Eastern Washing State. I was always looking for things to do to enable my addiction to motorcycles to continue. A guy at a hardware store started talking to me one day and asked if there was anybody around that wanted to earn some extra money. Sure that was me. He owned several properties that had those annoying trees on them. I boldly told him that would cost him $400 per lot. Of course I had no idea what I was doing, but I figured whatever it would take that was what I would do. So a week later I was working on this Mac 15 that had no hope of running, Since I had plenty of motivation it was not long before it was cutting good. So for a couple of years of weekends and after school I cut locust. Also by accident I came across a guy who made furniture and really liked how nice my logs looked. So he bought pretty much all my larger logs. After about a year I went to see the guy who bought my logs just to see what he was doing with them. He showed me some of his work and it was really amazing. He told me that after he made one item his customers got in line for all of it and wanted to buy more, but could not find any more trees to cut. So after high school moved arround looking for he bought pretty much all my larger logs. My father was not into my life in those days so cutting wood soon became my go to for everything. About 25,000 cords later I still enjoy going to beautiful places to watch trees fall over. Thanks

I started at 12 or 13 running dads and grandpas old homies. Bought my first one at 20 because I hated my grandpas poulan 42cc that replaced his homelite. Been cutting most of the wood at the cabin since that purchase and i run a saw every chance i get. So 20 years now the day you think you know every thing about running that saw you better put it away because it will bite you bad.

I started around the same age as you did. Basically when I was strong enough to start the old saws my Father got from my Grandfather. It was a great age because I also got to do manly things like putting down the 22lr and picking up the big rifles at that age. Im almost 30 now and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Fair warning, chainsaws can be very addicting especially when you start earning a steady paycheck.

I started at 12 or 13 running dads and grandpas old homies. Bought my first one at 20 because I hated my grandpas poulan 42cc that replaced his homelite. Been cutting most of the wood at the cabin since that purchase and i run a saw every chance i get. So 20 years now the day you think you know every thing about running that saw you better put it away because it will bite you bad.
I think I still own one of those 42cc chainsaws that you mentioned. It has an 18" bar, and it cuts well today. N0t sure what keeps it going except that I care for it.

Back