How long have you been running a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My grandpas always had a start issue but cut real nice once it got started. I will i would have kept it just for sentimental reasons.

Was thinking 12 was too young to let a kid run a chainsaw. Then I remembered last winter when I taught my (now 13yr old) how to slab with the 362. Judgemental I am. I was up on a 65' elm spar with my 10yr old watching. He's been bit with the tree bug for years. I asked if he stihl wanted to do what I do? He's like "yeah, but can I do smaller trees for a while first?"

About 31 years. Started probably about 12 limbing with the mini-mac. I have had great running, dependable saws all these years, so I have never actually torn one down. Plugs, filters, one AV mount. I would like a project, but just don't have the time.

40+ years. I started with an electric chainsaw a few years before I started with the regular 2 stroke chainsaw in 1975.

How about that! I worked for a landscaper from 72-75... He had a couple electric saws.... he may have had a gas saw, don't recall. I imagine so.... Been in the tree care industry for 41 years. What does that tell ya......?!

It was a poulan.
My first saw was a Poulan in 1975 as reported above. I never had a start issue with it until a friend borrowed it., straight gassed it, and the dealer said it was cooked. Even now I have a Craftsman 4218 that another friend gave me and it starts beautifully. Funny thing is that people make fun of it. I never have because it starts, runs, and cuts rather well. Some say it was designed to run 100 hours and die, never to be repaired. Perhaps that's true. I haven't found that out yet.

Since I was 12 or 13...was dragging brush till I could run the saw, still plenty of dragging after too...

1948 plus 12 yrs of age equals somewhere about 56 yrs. An old Lombard and Homelite XL12s started me on that road. Very little pro work, but did cut a little pulpwood for a while. Looking back I did a lot of stupid stuff, Good Lord had his hand full taking care of me. BE SAFE and Keep looking up, you'll see more.

I was 12 or 13, running my grandpa's Homelite XL12. I still have great memories of dragging brush with my dad and grandpa. We'd go cut and I'd haul brush and have a fire. I cut firewood to sell in high school. I got serious about it about 8 or 9 years ago when I started heating with wood. I still own my grandpa's house and property we cut on when I was growing up.

Back