the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just dragged my late uncles McCulloch 380A out of the shed and am hoping to get it going again. I dont know a lot about chainsaws, but its been sitting around for 30yrs unused so needs a carby kit, compression and spark appear ok. Is there any Aussie contact for old McCulloch bits(it has the flat back carb) or do I need to order from the US? I'm also wondering if/where I can find a 28-30inch bar for it as I'm hoping to put it work cleaning up some old dead macrocarpa trees on my property. Thanks for any help!

Giday Cora welcome aboard,, there will be plenty of help about to fix that saw up tho the cost of the rebuild could be high and the likely hood that saw will not have basic safety features says maybe buy a new fit saw for ya Cypress work and keep the Mcculloch for memories show and shine runs. its up to you but just a thought..

I used to use granpas McCulloch 380 it was a solid steel brute, made hard work harder, great fun but if u get working the new saws win the fight..

Thanks guys - I had stumbled across that macbobaust.com site in my search and yeah, looks like its gone unfortunately!

Giday Cora welcome aboard,, there will be plenty of help about to fix that saw up tho the cost of the rebuild could be high and the likely hood that saw will not have basic safety features says maybe buy a new fit saw for ya Cypress work and keep the Mcculloch for memories show and shine runs. its up to you but just a thought..

Yeah I realise I'd be best to get something newer for getting the job done, but I'm a bit nostalgic and have a thing for old machines! My pop and his sons(my uncles) were loggers back in the day and this saw was owned by one of them. He was killed in accident about 30yrs ago and this saw has been hiding in various sheds since then. I have a little Stihl 023c which gets regular use on my property but its too small for slicing up anything larger than decent a branch - I figured if I can revive this old 380 it might be useful for the occasional larger stuff like these cypresses. Otherwise nostalgia will just have to do!

I know there is a bloke in the US selling re-manufactured carb kits, just thought I'd try for local first?

I've just dragged my late uncles McCulloch 380A out of the shed and am hoping to get it going again. I dont know a lot about chainsaws, but its been sitting around for 30yrs unused so needs a carby kit, compression and spark appear ok. Is there any Aussie contact for old McCulloch bits(it has the flat back carb) or do I need to order from the US? I'm also wondering if/where I can find a 28-30inch bar for it as I'm hoping to put it work cleaning up some old dead macrocarpa trees on my property. Thanks for any help!
If your just chasing a carb kit get the carb brand and model numbers ,most of the time they shared carbs with other equipment and most kits are readily available on the nett or small engines shops[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - I had stumbled across that macbobaust.com site in my search and yeah, looks like its gone unfortunately!

Yeah I realise I'd be best to get something newer for getting the job done, but I'm a bit nostalgic and have a thing for old machines! My pop and his sons(my uncles) were loggers back in the day and this saw was owned by one of them. He was killed in accident about 30yrs ago and this saw has been hiding in various sheds since then. I have a little Stihl 023c which gets regular use on my property but its too small for slicing up anything larger than decent a branch - I figured if I can revive this old 380 it might be useful for the occasional larger stuff like these cypresses. Otherwise nostalgia will just have to do!

I know there is a bloke in the US selling re-manufactured carb kits, just thought I'd try for local first?

in that case get it fixed and run it with pride and honor.

try here , his page https://www.facebook.com/groups/231480560395897/

Anyone got some words of advice before I look at a second hand stihl br500 blower?
Never had a backpack blower, or anything stihl 4-mix.
Adjusting valves and running synthetic oil doesn't worry me.
How did you go?
I've just grabbed one from the swap meet for $80. Fuel looks like it's had 30wt mixed as it's a thin but black sludgey stufft

Sent from West Coast AUS

Quick Gday and introduction from a newwie here. Name's Joel, currently living in Goulburn NSW but shortly to be moving to a small farm in Tarago, about half an hour away. Lurked around the site for a little while picking up bits and pieces of info and love the knowledge base available here. I've currently got two saws, both oldies, a Stihl 010AV (orange one) and a recently acquired Agristar 350. I picked up the Agristar cheaply to deal with some downed pine trees at the property that have fallen across some fences, and need to do a few things to it to make it usable, namely I need a clutch. I'm wondering if anyone here has a parts saw that they're willing to sell some bits from, or knows of anyone who may have some new or second hand parts for these saws? Engine wise it seems that all is well, took very little to get the saw to fire up and it seems to rev cleanly and idle nice, and apart from replacing the clutch I need to make a couple of repairs to the chain brake but that's about it.

Cheers fellas

Joel

Cheers for that - requested to join.

Seems I may not need that carby kit after all - stripped it down and gave it a good clean out with carby cleaner and it fired right up! Wont idle once it warms up though and is a struggle to restart until it cools down so I may have to track that problem down. Still keen to get a larger bar for it though.

Back