Best Boots for pounding Ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlNick

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I own several pairs of Boots. Wesco 16" Highliner climbing boots ( too heavy to haul ass in) I also own Stihl Pro Marks, kinda clunky but lighter weight. Basically I'm looking for some good waterproof running boots. Speed is everything and I prefer to do as much running as possible. Need to be waterproof as I am in the PNW. Thanks for your insight!!

Wow those look nice!! I wonder how the Danner Mountain Lights Compare. I have been looking at those for some time

Btw these Stihl boots suck. Sole separated from the boot on my left foot midway thru the first job yesterday, right foot during out third job. Had to cut them off where they separated to keep going lol

Attachments

• IMG_20161007_161734.jpg
    IMG_20161007_161734.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
I'm just north of you, so I understand rain. I just use regular leather boots (house brand from a work wear store), when they get soaked they go in the boot drier at night. They get greased for when it's damp. With two pair of wool socks my feet are warm even when they get wet.

When it's monsooning, or I'm standing all day in the bucket with water around my feet, I'll wear steel toed rubbers.

If you're running all the time, to me it tells me you're not carrying a big enough load. If the weather is bad with slippery decks and driveways, you going to slip and get hurt. I don't want my groundies to run, I want them to walk with purpose and not dawdle. There's lots of ways of working efficiently and save time when you're grounding, I don't see running as one of them.

I typically can't run with a full load on, just a hard long stride, prefer to run back, run under the tree, run when I'm getting tools or gassing saws etc. Hard to run when youre dragging. But we are a busy outfit. Typically 5k plus a day with (2) 3 man crews hustling is a priority.

Wow those look nice!! I wonder how the Danner Mountain Lights Compare. I have been looking at those for some time

Never have worn Danners but I love my kenetreks. Danner is a good brand. Kenetreks are not the lightest boot and they are also somewhat stiff since they are designed for ankle support. To each his own.

Also if yer serious about good boots, look into Viberg, Nicks, Whites, Wesco, Hoffman, and last but not least Carolina domestics (special order em)

My 30 year old Vigergs have recently been retired, with one resole, Have a new pair of Nick's calks) that are probably the best boot I've ever worn, and a new pair of Hoffmans (vibram) that desperately need to be worn out, so I can order another pair of Nick's custom fit...

Notice Danner is not on this list?

Anyway, good boots are not cheap, but they will last a lifetime if well taken care of.

Also if yer serious about good boots, look into Viberg, Nicks, Whites, Wesco, Hoffman, and last but not least Carolina domestics (special order em)

My 30 year old Vigergs have recently been retired, with one resole, Have a new pair of Nick's calks) that are probably the best boot I've ever worn, and a new pair of Hoffmans (vibram) that desperately need to be worn out, so I can order another pair of Nick's custom fit...

Notice Danner is not on this list?

Anyway, good boots are not cheap, but they will last a lifetime if well taken care of.
I have Wescos as my climbing boots. 16" Highliner they are not fun when I am working the ground all day. The fatigue is horrible on your feet because of the weight, and fatigued feet do damper efficient productivity.
I am looking at a pair of RedWing 8" Moc Toes with the wedge sole. How do u think they will hold up for ground work?

To be honest i can't recommend new age danners, i got an amazing pair of hiking boots 15 yrs ago, so when it was time for work boots i went with danner...big mistake. Ive been through 2 pairs of quarry work boots(one was warranty after 30 days), the relacements are seriously fatigued after 4 months, and i had a pair of the loggers last an astonishing 5 months!

Im currently wearing Hoffmans. Super stoked as season 1 comes to an end! Great for climbing and woods work

if yer worried about weight just get some tennis shoes or hightops.

personally i wear boots everywhere, so i dont get the weight argument, me and lowtop low heel shoes don't get along... well mostly i just limp...

though i kinda miss my chucks

I don't even wear Wesco boots while gaff climbing anymore. I buy these. you might need to be a repeat customer to get the best deals..... $260 boot for $130, sometimes less when they're running their best deals. I've probably had six or seven pairs of Asolos now. For summer or dry weather, I go with non goretex--cooler and even cheaper. Fantastic fit....
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/as...~5486y/?filterString=mens-hiking-boots~d~360/

Love my Asolo boots TPS535 think I'm on my 6th pair only take em off to sleep, Gore-tex ones are the TPS520

Back