Help me pick a new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replied to your other post but if speed matters kinetic models cycle much faster. Not sure they come up used very often. We have a DR K55 and height is about right to drop the split on standing upright, not sure I'd want it higher.

Sometimes I load the tractor bucket with rounds and put the splits back in it. Otherwise the splits go into a wheelbarrow. I'm not into bending over 200 times if I can help it.

I shouldn't have opened this thread.

That WXR740 has me thinking now of selling mine & getting it - it looks very interesting with the extra splitting power, stroke limiter, and two speed lever. Huh.

It is 100lbs heavier than mine though - guess maybe I should just think of that part.

Be sure to post back what you find about pricing. I'm almost tempted to check here - but I am trying to avoid temptation.

Here's the DR K55 we have. Got it on close out Table is optional, and worth it.
image-L.jpg

Wow those are nice with some really cool features, but they are going to be out of my price range. Thanks though.

I am staying put till the kids are out of school and I retire so this machine will be a 15 year investment. The wife and I have decided not to rehab the house and save that money for our retirement home (at the beach) so for the next 15 years I will need a decent amount of firewood.

Economical units

Dirty hand tools 28 ton, 17.5 gpm pump, 10-11 second cycle time, with all options (delivery,cover, table/engine guard, 4 way wedge) for $1938. Pretty good reviews but it also scares me as it's a bit of a box store unit.

The Iron and Oak fast cycles are 22 ton and $3628.

The two ways are a bit interesting.
The Iron and Oak is nice but the first log in the video it seems to struggle, the price is high $2765.
The Brave unit is much less but has a much smaller hydro tank and is for homeowner use only and I wonder about long term durability. Price is nice at $1504.

Lastly and the odd ball since I have never run one , Kinetic

SuperSplit- I have a quote for a HD model, Honda engine, tow hitch, table, custom height since I'm 6'-4" in me boots. Under my max budget but barely.

I have a 34 ton Brave that I bought well used three years ago. I split 5-7 cords a year. I haven't had any issues. The guy I bought it from used it in a small firewood business.
The small hydraulic tank worried me as well. I only cut and split, when it's under 50 degrees, (most often in the 30's)and generally don't split more than a couple of cords at a time. The cylinder gets pretty warm but I've never had to shut it down because of overheating.
I've got a neighbor with a 22 ton Brave that's approaching antique status. He's replaced the engine and hoses but the rest is original. He has an OWB and splits a lot of wood. I bought my Brave, based on his experience.
For longevity, proper maintenance and storage is important. A lot of otherwise good splitters have had short lives because the oil in the engine was never changed, ethanol containing fuel was left in unit and the machines were stored outside, uncovered.
I think the Brave is a bit overpriced new but if you can find a good used one, it's a good choice.
I paid around $900 for mine when it was about five years old.
Good luck however you decide to go.

Again thanks guys. I will put up the price quote on the Wallenstien when I receive it. One of the things I wanted to do is put up prices and models so anyone else going through this process could get a benchmark. It's funny I have always been a guy who wants to be an informed consumer, do research, check things out before I purchase. This splitter decision has been one of the hardest simply because I can't just go look at one or operate it.

I'm leaning towards the SS, I'm waiting for a quote on the Wallenstien and keeping the DHT 28 in my back pocket. I'm lucky and have an awesome Warden aka wife who said get what you want and need so we don't have to worry about it again. It's a large investment but seeing how it's got to last 15 years I'd rather pony up the cash now rather than save now only to have to do it again.

The brave dual split is about 1400 and catches splits the engine is a honda gc but I am just splitting for myself so no worries. I have never been able to stop the knife.

Go with the super split and don't look back. I have had mine for over 3 years using it commercially and love it and have saved a ton of money. I do several hundred cords a year and the only things I have replaced is a couple of bolts that rattled lose and finally replaced the belts because they were glazing. I can get 3 to 4 cords out of a gallon of gas with the robinson subaru engine. With 3 guys we can do a cord in under 20 minutes. The amount of money I have saved on hydraulic fluid, filters, hoses and fuel have paid for the splitter in less than 3 years. I have also gained a lot of customers because the wood looks so much better split with the super split over hydraulic. I have not found anything my super split can't handle and it splits green wood like butter. I haven't had any problems with bearings as some may complain about. All you have to do is keep it covered with a tarp and spray a little wd40 every couple of cords and it will last you forever. The customer service from super split is second to none, they are a small family owned business and its all made in the U.S.A. There are copies of the super split out there but they are just copies and pale in comparison to the original. Pick the setup you want, take care of it and you will be able to pass it on to your grandkids.

Huskee 22 tons
I have one for 7-8 years now.
i split 5-6 cords every year. Some times more. I help my friends out.
I never have ANY problems and work like no other day.
From very first day I got it. Drain the oil and feel with synthetic oil. Use only that oil.
4-5 sec to split
Check you-tube for Review
Best money you will spend.
Good luck..

I don't think I've ever talked to a person who didn't like their splitter. They all work and, with care, will all last. The Super Split is fast, but will you feel comfortable using it around your kids when they get older. The Wallensteins are really well-built machines with North American components (except for the engine) and are reasonably-priced (compared to other high-end units). I narrowed my choice to the Wally or an Ariens 22T which is also American-made with American components (except the nice Subaru engine), has (to me) the most well laid out work area, is comparatively light weight (for loading into pickup for splitting on site) and has some of the better cycle times. My choice was made easy when I found a clearance Ariens at HD for about 30% off. Otherwise, I might still be debating. LOL! Love it in every way. Just needs a larger gas tank. The're all good. Just pick our the features you like best.

P.S. Okay, I'll say that I don't care for the TroyBuilt machines (essential components are right under the splitting area) and I don't like the channels on the beam of a lot of splitters (DHT, Black Diamond, CountryWide, etc) that get debris crammed into it. That's just me though.

I have an Ariens 22 ton. The fitting that holds the control valve is a POS and strips out easily. It has a good cycle time and a good work area. Other then the control valve it is a good splitter and starts on the first pull hot or cold. The tow hitch beam bent on me the day I brought it home, but the actual splitting bits are fantastic and it is a good height.

Can do a bit better then a cord every two hours with it. I would purchase it again. Mine has done about 60 cord so far in three years. Thing will split anything you can lift onto it and will split 36 inch logs if you chip off the sides first.

I'd get a Woods centrifugal. Seems to be built better than any of the other Centrifugals I have seen in person. Including SS.

Got the quote on the Wallenstien WXR720 at $2984, folding front shelf/table $500, so $3484.
Then shipping to a shipping center at $225
What I forgot to ask is if a 4 way wedge is standard or what the cost of that would be so Im waiting on the info on that.
Right now Its at at $3709.00.

I just checked the internet and it seems the 4 way is an option and around $265.00. So the total would be right at about $3975.00

Then I would want the stroke limiter and that's $225.00

My total with the loaded machine would be $4200. It's a nice machine and was the main rival to the SS but the SS HD is cheaper by a good bit once I add the options to the WXR.

I got an Ariens at $1200. That $3k difference buys a lot of oil. If you dont work it I would get a cheaper option. The production machines are only better if you run them for 8hrs and have a helper. For a one man show the homeowner wedge-on-ram arrangement is faster. you do not have to go chasing the chunks, just hold on to the large chunk and push the splits into a pile.

$3000 is a lot of money. Best way to keep money in your pocket is to only buy what you need, not what you want. Those fancy splitters are nicer to use but they don't keep the house any warmer.

I think the base Wallenstien is at a fair purchase price, the options take it out of my league. I'm not sure I want to piece together a machine over the next few years, not a big deal but the shipping of large heavy parts is going to add up.

I agree to all who say it's a big expense. I pulled the old MTD yesterday and gave it a good once over. It needs some welding, the pump is leaking, it makes some bad chattering sound in certain situations, I'm not certain how much longer she is gonna go. I have kept it well serviced and the Briggs still starts quick and runs well, the rest needs some help. Cycle time is up to 18 seconds full stroke and return wide open no load. I will admit I have over worked it, added a 4 way it was never designed for, and I'm sure I've shortened its life span.

Im planning on getting a new one.
I can tell you it will be a faster stroke type hydro model with a table, or a Kinetic. I will not be purchasing another 14-20 second cycle time machine. I'm going to have 3 little wood haulers (not splitters) in a few years, they are in for some work.

I also have plenty of offers to come get wood that if I had time I could sell a few loads a year. I have the truck, dump trailer, and John Deere SCUT with a loader to do some side work.
I just need to find the splitter to round things out and make it worth while.

Ariens or DHT 22 ton. 4 way is only faster in straight wood. My cycle time is give or take 11 sec no load. You don't need to use the whole cycle, I usually just go till the things pop. Another trick is to grind the wedge sharper. They have a 1/8th in wide edge from the factor. I ground mine sharp and it splits a lot better.

If you have the skills you can probably put a new pump on. I bet the chattering is that pump being wore out.

Back