New MS462 C-M...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I emailed Stihl today asking about both the MS441C-M and the MS462C-M this is the response I got. Figured it makes sense to pass it on here...

"We are in receipt of and thank you for your e-mail.

Two years ago, the MS441C M chainsaw was placed on production hold to the USA by our founding company in Germany. It is due to be re-released to the U.S. market in the first quarter of 2017. Currently, there are no plans to add the M-Tronic feature to the MS461. However, there are plans to release a new chainsaw in the same category as the MS461 to the U.S. market that includes the M-Tronic feature. No designation has been given to this power head as of yet, but the tentative release date is early to mid- 2018.

Thank you again for your e-mail.

Best regards,
Wayne Lemmond
Technical Service Representative
STIHL Inc."

Aaron

sounds like wayne was blowing some smoke up your ass lol he ain't gonna give you any info on anything regarding new models and their release dates. all manufacturers are on the hush about that sort of stuff. for the record that pic i posted is from a stihl calender for 2017. not photoshopped at all. why would stihl put a saw in their 2017 calender and then not release it til 2018? good ol' wayne got you good :givebeer:

sounds like wayne was blowing some smoke up your ass lol he ain't gonna give you any info on anything regarding new models and their release dates. all manufacturers are on the hush about that sort of stuff. for the record that pic i posted is from a stihl calender for 2017. not photoshopped at all. why would stihl put a saw in their 2017 calender and then not release it til 2018? good ol' wayne got you good :givebeer:

I hope you are right, I will be on the hunt for the MS462 when it comes out if it is both lighter and stronger than the MS461 I have run.

Just going to have to convince the misses by then that I NEED a bigger saw... ;)

Aaron

I appreciate you "taking one for the team!" :bowdown:

The rest of us are in your dept, hopefully one of the guys out on the east coast will let you run their 462 when it comes out. :laughing:

Aaron
Watch and mark my words. I have been putting off buying this 461 for a year and a half in hopes this new version would come out. I couldn't wait any longer. This 462cm will be released shortly. Go and bet everything you got on it.

Well let us know what you think of the ms461 after you run her awhile...
So far so good. Still breaking it in. Only got a few tanks thru it so far. This saw starts so easy it's crazy. Pops on first pull on choke, move it to fast idle and roars to life on 2nd pull. She's a beast. Right now I have a 25 inch es light bar on it with 33rs chain. I also have a 20 inch and 28 inch es light bar for it. This saw will last me a life time and my kids life time. I will only buy professional saws from now on. Next on the list is a ms241cm to replace my ms250

IMG_1199.JPG
So far so good. Still breaking it in. Only got a few tanks thru it so far. This saw starts so easy it's crazy. Pops on first pull on choke, move it to fast idle and roars to life on 2nd pull. She's a beast. Right now I have a 25 inch es light bar on it with 33rs chain. I also have a 20 inch and 28 inch es light bar for it. This saw will last me a life time and my kids life time. I will only buy professional saws from now on. Next on the list is a ms241cm to replace my ms250
Hey that's great to hear.... I promise you that the saw will really come to life after 10-15 tanks....I know I just kept thinking to myself, damn how much better will this saw get lol....I run the 25" and 20" bar on mine and it pulls them both perfectly fine in hardwood....

On a side note, I still sometimes take my ol ms250 out on solo runs.... I know the saw gets a bad rap, but when used for what it should be the saw runs great.... anyway I took her out just the other day, and buried her 18" bar in some shagbark hickory a few times.... if a guy has a light hand and knows how to take care of a chain, she works just fine.... as I stated in another thread, this saw has been keeping people warm for awhile....

For the record the MS461 I worked on was not mine, but a local tree guy's. IMO, the problems with the 461 are due to the excess heat generated to meet emissions. MS460s are dead nuts reliable, and 461s share most parts, biggest difference the 4 transfer port jug and that weird saddle designed specifically to cool the piston.

If I owned a 461 I would pull the carb limiters and put a dp muff cover on it, and I'll bet it lives happily forever after. The guy I repaired that saw for loves it now (with those changes).

For the record the MS461 I worked on was not mine, but a local tree guy's. IMO, the problems with the 461 are due to the excess heat generated to meet emissions. MS460s are dead nuts reliable, and 461s share most parts, biggest difference the 4 transfer port jug and that weird saddle designed specifically to cool the piston.

If I owned a 461 I would pull the carb limiters and put a dp muff cover on it, and I'll bet it lives happily forever after. The guy I repaired that saw for loves it now (with those changes).

i put 175 tanks through mine in the first month i owned it and never had a problem. most guys here won't burn that much fuel in years giving the illusion that it's dead nuts reliable. everyone likes to talk about how long they've had a saw and how reliable it is but no one talks about how much use it actually got in that time. so that thingy is there to cool the piston? what a wacky way to do it. leave it to stihl :numberone:

Yea, Randy posted about it, seems it re-directs the intake flow to accomplish that task.

Likely also acts as a crank stuffer, reducing crank case volume.

I know I don't run saws like the pros, but I have seen 460s used by pros that have a ton of time on them and they love em.

Latest posts

Back