Daydreaming about a 90cc class saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
look for a shop that want to get rid of a 660 then see if hed drop the price Dual port the saw and cut wood

The 390XP is by far the biggest bang for the buck. They are my favorite saw in that class, and mod like crazy. But, since you already have a MS461, you might consider the 395XP.

A 390xp makes the 461 irrelevant is what I was told by a member out west that had both.

Terry's 395 seem like a clear choice for the Op's needs. Probably be had for less than a 661 as well.

2100? 298xp? 2101xp? I've sold mine but getting the itch for another..

Someone tell me where I can get a 661. I waited like 3 years on a 540xp never again. .. If I remember right I could've gotten a new 200t but was waiting on the 540...

Thanks for everyone who has chimed in. Some real creative ideas that have expanded my horizons. If I were made of money and it actually existed in the USA, a ported 661CM sounds awesome. Terry's rebuilt and ported 395 sounds ideal and would definitely be less $, just no autotune/mtronic. Maybe I just need to keep working on my manual tune skills. It might be nice to run on the rich side for milling.(?) Time will tell. I'm definitely not "in need" but clearly "in want" of a bigger saw.

Got an old rebuilt 066 mag, ported/modded/carb chamber opened up and retuned (*by another) with a 32" full comp/full chisel that walks right thru big oak and hard maple. Oiler kinda maxed out for bar... Can't speak for milling but otherwise, best beast I have ever pulled the trigger on. Never played much with others tho.

Just put together an MS660 with aftermarket parts off eBay and Huztl.net. Mostly it is high quality FarmerTec parts. Did replace the chain tensioner. The thing is really a beast and a high powered saw but not a Stihl. Had to press the cases together and attach all the other parts. Really learned a lot. Spent about $300 including shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just put together an MS660 with aftermarket parts off eBay and Huztl.net. Mostly it is high quality FarmerTec parts. Did replace the chain tensioner. The thing is really a beast and a high powered saw but not a Stihl. Had to press the cases together and attach all the other parts. Really learned a lot. Spent about $300 including shipping.

You got any more info on that? You started with nothing and practically built a 660 for 300$ ?

The kit is on www.huztl.net. Just ordered another MS660 and an MS361 both with big bore kits. Spent $550 with shipping and some other parts. Hope the quality matches the last one. Parts were really clean, I did polish up the cylinder some. I will use OEM piston bearings and chain tensioners on them.

Maybe I just need to keep working on my manual tune skills. It might be nice to run on the rich side for milling.(?) Time will tell. I'm definitely not "in need" but clearly "in want" of a bigger saw.
I tend to run all my saws a pinch fat. So it cuts down on absolute top rev performance . I'm not cutting cookies for utube, I'm running the dog snot out of big saws in big hardwood. I muff mod, do my version of a woods port, and mix 32-1.
I want my saws to last.
Run a lil fat don't hurt any saw ...

I have a modded 394.. I love it. Most of the time it wears a dinky 24" bar, but I have a 36" for it as well once I get a chain. I've heard very good things about a 288, I just haven't been able to find one to try out (and keep)

Wow, this thread is over a year old. FWIW, my MMWS ported MS461 has been doing just fine for me so far. Still dreaming of a 90+, but still can't justify the coin vs. the limited use.

Back