Chicago area loads firewood logs 250 bucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not all the jobs get done that way. Whenever possible a skid steer gets used, but not always room. And when I mean TIGHT I mean you cannot get a truck that size over the bridges or under them. If we could use a crane, we would, belive me. They get used when we can.

In my experience anyone not from my part New England's idea of 'tight' is my idea of 'normal'. We have a lot of roads where passing cars will take each others mirrors out if they do not pull off. It is not abnormal for me to not be able to fit the trucks down just the roads without folding mirrors in. and that is GETTING to the site. Working on them is even worse a lot of times. The road in your first picture is wider then 99% of the roads I work on or near are. That would be a main thoroughfare and a two lane one at that.

holy crap! you guys pay so much for wood in some parts I just got 1.5 to 2 cords of oak dropped for 50 dollars. No brush no or rotted wood. red and white oak. In the 11 or so cords I have in my yard, between scrounging and getting it delivered, I have 200 bucks max. If I had to pay as much for wood as some of you I'd be forced to stop using my stove!

holy crap! you guys pay so much for wood in some parts I just got 1.5 to 2 cords of oak dropped for 50 dollars. No brush no or rotted wood. red and white oak. In the 11 or so cords I have in my yard, between scrounging and getting it delivered, I have 200 bucks max. If I had to pay as much for wood as some of you I'd be forced to stop using my stove!
I think I have about that in all my wood this year (40 cord) after it being split and wear and tear on my gear.

I think I have about that in all my wood this year (40 cord) after it being split and wear and tear on my gear.
it seems God is smiling on you! With that type of wood available for free in such quantities, I'm almost tempted to move up to your neighborhood.

I'm in the Boston area (which isn't totally unlike Chicago) and you'd have a tough time getting grapple loads delivered for under $100/cord. If I could get 4 cords for $250, I would in a heartbeat. Wood is popular around here and cords easily go in the $300+ range. There's profit to be made around here if you're only paying $60/cord for logs.

Even with that, the tree company I use doesn't bother with firewood. They said it doesn't make financial sense to them handling the logs or delivering them to people. They just pluck the trees with a crane and drop them right through their chipper - basically anything under 20" regardless if its prime hardwood. I had to twist their arm to leave me a few cords of oak during my last removal since it cost them time in handling/limbing when they could have just chipped the entire tree in a couple pieces.

it seems God is smiling on you! With that type of wood available for free in such quantities, I'm almost tempted to move up to your neighborhood.
Don't. My property taxes here are ridiculous, truck included and the cost of living is too highr Property taxes on an $8000 truck are $200 a year before I pay $225 a month for insurance. Minimum wage may be $9.60 but a 600 square foot house is $500,000.

But, the situation for disposal here is hard enough I turn down loads since I cannot take it all. I literally just got off the phone with someone cold calling me trying to unload wood on me.

Your prices look just fine. How anyone can say that you're high... And doesn't live in the same state or understand urban wood prices is bullcrap.
Keep on keepin on man, you could get close to that money here, and even more 45 minutes northwest of here.

Don't. My property taxes here are ridiculous, truck included and the cost of living is too highr Property taxes on an $8000 truck are $200 a year before I pay $225 a month for insurance. Minimum wage may be $9.60 but a 600 square foot house is $500,000.

But, the situation for disposal here is hard enough I turn down loads since I cannot take it all. I literally just got off the phone with someone cold calling me trying to unload wood on me.
a lot of people move down here to the upstate of SC to stretch their retirement out because the cost of things is so much lower. A friend of mine from up there moved down and was amazed at how much house 300,000 would get him.

a lot of people move down here to the upstate of SC to stretch their retirement out because the cost of things is so much lower. A friend of mine from up there moved down and was amazed at how much house 300,000 would get him.
My grandad did the same. Moved to NC though. Not a bad spot. Like the mountains.

I don't quite understand this 'dry wood' in log form. I'm cutting/splitting a twenty cord truck load I had delivered a year ago. Not any drier than if the trees were dropped yesterday. Just plain wet and heavy Oak. I drove by a processor about a month ago and spoke to a young woman there. I asked if they had seasoned firewood, as all I saw was piles of logs and a dump truck parked under the conveyor. She said yes, their logs were seasoned six months old. Am I missing something?
I never understood those "seasoned" logs statements myself. Wood only starts seasoning AFTER it's cut, split and stacked. Logs don't season.

The man puts a price on his logs for firewood processing. If you want it you can buy it for that. He knows how much he wants to make on it. If you don't want to buy it, no issue someone will. I price my firewood for what the market will bare. If you sell firewood you need to make the most you can, labor and equipment cost can ruin your profit quick. I would never criticize anyone for selling at a good profit. Good luck to all this year.

Your firewood is only worth what a person would pay at that time of the year. It sounds crazy but most of the time it's worth more than a persons asking price.. Nice dry hardwood is like gold in some places.

Back