Trees aren't really worth that much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm talking in lumber. Trees arent worth very much at all. Even some very large trees we do will only bring a couple hundred bucks. If you dont count labor, most trees i do are worth more in firewood. I have a decent percentage of customers that think the trees value is equal to the removal cost. Maybe more. I can even understand this logic. Its kind of sad really.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Most urban logs, especially the knotty conifers, would only be graded as pulp. So what you can do is find out what the local price for pulp wood is and have that in case your customers ask. The current price for pine sawtimber is $25/ton and mixed hardwoods is $32/ton.

Just for giggles, I calculated an approximate weight of a pine 2' dbh, 80' tall, conical shaped,=> 83 cu ft of wood @ 50lb/cu ft of wood. It came out to just over 2 tons. So this tree would be worth around $50. Even if I'm out 100%, the value of the tree would still only be $100. Not nearly enough to pay for the removal.

I copied this from the LEADER.Com it's from 2012

When appraising the value of each tree, the board footage and quality have to be determined according to standards and rules. For example, a twenty inch Red Oak tree, from base to two logs high could cut out with the first section as veneer, the second section as select, the third section as grade 1, and the remaining as grade 4. The total volume of the tree would be 225 board feet. The value of this tree would be $195.00 for an average of $866.00 per thousand board feet. A fourteen inch Red Oak with a grade 3 rating would be worth $12.00 for an average price per thousand board feet of $265.00. If the twenty inch tree in this example is Black Cherry the value would be $349.00, which is an average of $1,551.00 per thousand board feet. Every tree is different and should be appraised before selling.

That's the reason all arborist businesses here will charge you for disposal, often handsomely so.

The scariest part is lumber, even when bought straight from the mill, continues to skyrocket, while prices paid to loggers stay depressed or go down. The only wood that will net a decent price is juniper (extremely sought after by barrel makers), and good luck finding junipers big enough to make it worth your while.

For a country not know for affordability, trees are cheap to come by in Japan.

The collapse of the timber market is a huge problem here. Between 30 and 50 years ago, back when lumber was still used in construction (its mainly steel/concrete now) there was a major government led intensive to plant cedar and cypress (though, it was about 90% cedar). When the market fell out in the 80s, nobody thought much of it at first other than the lumberjacks. The countryside was emptying anyways, so all those trees planted on abandoned farm plots and in the surrounding mountains didn't really matter.

But things change. First, those trees create acidic soil, and do havoc to the farm-ready areas if they ever do get cut out and if the land is to ever be re-purposed back to farming, orchards, or growing just about anything other than weeds, tomatoes and blueberries. Next, the mono-culture of the trees -entire mountain ranges of them- screws up animal populations. The deer, boar, bears and packs of monkeys need to source food elsewhere, often either wrecking the remaining non-cedar forests or they are driven to where people live and attack crops and humans.

Cutting the trees is often ridiculous as not only are there so many and no market for them, but they are planted on steep slopes with no access roads, requiring wire rigging systems and highly skilled/licensed woodsmen at not very good pay. It costs almost as much to extract a tree as its worth in cut lumber, sometimes more. Understandably, the hardware stores are filled with imported lumber, as its cheaper to have it cut, processed, shipped across the Pacific from BC or New Zealand, and pay import duty on it, than to cut and process a tree from a few miles up the valley.

Most people in cities tune out to these woes, but one thing has come to haunt them: Pollen. Every year, from February to April, great green waves of pollen blow across Japan, inundating every breathing space in the country. No city is shielded. And over time, people have developed allergies to this pollen. Imagine an intense hay-fever thats 2 months long. Swollen watery eyes, runny nose, trouble breathing. Drugs work sometimes, but they're never fully effective if at all. About a third of the urban population suffers from this (and rising), causing them all to wear special pollen-proof surgical masks when heading to and from the office in business suits for their commute. Those in rural areas somehow suffer much less.

As for me, I'm surrounded by mountains of the stuff. I can have what I want free for personal use, just need to ask the owner of the land if its alive and full-ish growth. Maybe drink some sake with him. Standing dead ones and smaller living trees (12-inch diameter) are essentially free without asking. I've gotten into milling recently, as I might as well put it to a use other than burning it. Because even though its soft, I have enough firewood to last lifetimes within a couple hundred yards of my place.

Amish sawmill next door told me he's paying 110-130 usd a cord for pallet wood, 130-150 for pine and more for oak saw logs. 100" I believe.

I beg to differ, even with BC Wet Coast.... We recently craned out a tall fir, and smaller fir and cedar, from a front yard. Scaled out at over 3000 board feet, and netted over $1500 after trucking. Plus we were well paid for the job.

I've only had a problem with metal a few times. Most recently, the mill paid us $150 for a culled log as firewood, so we only lost about $350 on it.

We can get good $ for Douglas-fir, even in lengths as short as 17', from a local mill. Beats the exporters all to heck, unless the logs are 32'...and get $800-900 mbf for western red cedar logs under 32 feet...at a different mill, though.

I can even get $240 mbf for cottonwood peelers....

Until the export market collapsed years ago, we could get $1000-1250 mbf for fir...that was nice!

Latest posts

Back