New splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However I did learn something the way that sprayed out had a person been splitting wood in the vertical or horizontal position it would have pretty much been right in your face or chest so I will be building a splash ring to go around the bottom of that so if it ever came loose it would direct the flow away from you into the ground

I blew a line on a skid steer the one day, it sounded like a bomb went off. I was really happy it was an enclosed cab with a glass door or I would of gotten soaked at the very best if it wasn't there.

However I did learn something the way that sprayed out had a person been splitting wood in the vertical or horizontal position it would have pretty much been right in your face or chest so I will be building a splash ring to go around the bottom of that so if it ever came loose it would direct the flow away from you into the ground
Safety splash shield for the bottom cap seal.

Attachments

• 20161216_194840.jpg
    20161216_194840.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
Just a few observations looking at the pics and and some of the replies. The base of the wedge isnt going to have the same stress levels as a wedge on beam design simply because the wedge is being pushed by the cyl. If the wedge had been welded to the beam, I would be very suspect of breaking that wedge off. Base is pretty tall and welded flush to the end of the hbeam. The gusset from beam to base might keep it from ripping off, but the potential is still there that it might start to rip away from the beam. The height will surely allow the base to bend, even with the sqbar welded to the bottom. The 4way wedge I aint really sure how well it will function. The side wings are pretty short and positioned pretty far back from the leading edge. My thoughts are that instead of making a clean 4way split, the short wings will just force the first split wider apart and possibly just get stuck in the second split and not split those pieces cleanly. Looking at the pic's on the first page, it looks as if the cyl is just mounted to a piece of plate that is flush welded to the end of the beam, if this is the case, that will probably be the first area of failure and breakage. The cyl base will have just as much pressure applied to it as the base welded to the opposite end. If the cyl base hasnt been boxed by now, it needs to be before using the splitter. Actual tonnage, based on a 7in cyl with the suggested pressure setting of 2000psi, will make a true 33.5tons of force. More than enough power to split pretty much anything thrown at it, also enough power to find all the weak spots in the build design.
The wedge worked great on small stuff the angle I set the blades worked well and kept wood from wedging on the Ibeam. However on big stuff it wedged. So to remedy this I built new wings, wider and with spreaders now it works great. I left them positioned the same angles. If I'm in twisted wood I can use the front half of the center blade to split 2 way then 4 way whenever the wood is nice

Attachments

• 20161217_072928.jpg
    20161217_072928.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
  • 20161216_194830.jpg
    20161216_194830.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
Any more action shots?
I split a cord right before the winter from hell showed is ugly face, had to move the splitter outside so we could keep the cars in the garage. However snow is melting fast so I will be finishing a few welds on the box frame panels, finish grinding a few things and installing a 15hp motor. The 11hp was a little light under load. However it split everything I threw at it without building over 1200psi.
Excited for the snow to leave ready to finish and paint this baby.

If you were having issues splitting ash I would suggest there is a problem with your current setup. May be a worn out pump, cylinder blow by or your wedge is too aggressive. Do you have access to a pressure gauge or is there one on there? Most splitters have no issue with elm as it is just stringy and makes it hard for manual wedging or doing it by hand. I'm running a 5 inch and it can split most everything you throw at it. With a 7, even at a lower idle, you are going to have to be careful. Totally agree with muddstopper, your base plate is going to bend quickly.

I have a wedge on the ram but mine is horizontal only. I never liked vertical and get around that with a lift boom for the big stuff. I made a quick release system for my wedges that requires no tool and is just a single pin and drop pin to hold it.

MVC-018S_54.JPG

Lower pin is fixed and drops over. Rock back and slide pin in and a chopped bolt is dropped in from the top to lock in place.

MVC-032S.JPG

Make sure if you make a 4 way to not have the contact surface all at once on the cross. Let the upright start to split then the secondary horizontal. have it lift up as shown above to avoid pinching. Honestly, with what you have now I wouldn't recommend doing it as it'll just bend your base faster. I was going to do a 6 inch on mine and I have the strength there to handle it. I decided not to as the speed was more important than the 2 times in 1000 I might need a 6 inch bore and I'm running a 28 gpm pump. I know you have the 7" allready but I don't think you'll be happy in the long run. Once again, if you do decide to move forward with it, be careful. A 7 inch can pop those bolts and they will fly like missiles. I split for a while with a guy how had a 8" cylinder with 12, 5/8" grade 8 bolts on his slide. He ended up putting a guard over the bolts after he got hit with one. He ran that thing off an excavator.

Good Lord Kevin, make that out of beer cans did ya????????????:clap::rock::numberone::rock2:

20170218_103840.jpg 20170218_104018.jpg 20170218_104205.jpg
Was able to finish welding the panels today. Need to finish grind some edges for a few hours to clean up torch edges. I will split some wood Monday and post video. After I check for stress cracks I should be able to blast and paint. My sandblasting trailer has been buried behind a giant snow pile all winter so will be nice to get the diesel fired back up. I'm excited for spring.

20170220_190551.jpg 20170220_190516.jpg
View attachment 559001 View attachment 559002 View attachment 559003
Was able to finish welding the panels today. Need to finish grind some edges for a few hours to clean up torch edges. I will split some wood Monday and post video. After I check for stress cracks I should be able to blast and paint. My sandblasting trailer has been buried behind a giant snow pile all winter so will be nice to get the diesel fired back up. I'm excited for spring.
And a few more frame boxing pics. I had to work today so still couldn't video it splitting.

Screenshot_20170501-203750.png Screenshot_20170501-203943.png Screenshot_20170501-204003.png It's been a busy spring. This evening I was finally able to sandblast and spray epoxy primer. I have the new motor but didn't want to bolt it up till the painting was done. I'm thinking red for everything but the frame, piping, axel and cylinder.

And the red, time to swap motors and bark up the paint. Final build specs.
7 inch ram
12 inch boxed i beam
4 way wedge
600 lbs steel
14hp engine
22 gpm pump
21 gallons oil
50 gpm filter
3/4 lines
Pressure gauge
Hand crank for tilt, lol
235 radial tires
5 lug trailer axle
Internal screen filter
Blood sweat and tears
Going to paint wheels white.20170504_195830.jpg

I hate to be honest. Looking at the pictures of your splitter I can honestly say it is one of the most poorly constructed log splitters I've ever seen on the internet. It has nothing to do with the effort you put forward, but poor quality welds with lack of penetration. Most if not all of your welds are substandard even for backyard hillbilly work.. The beam you chose is probably the worst kind of beam you could choose and that is the reason you were trying to weld in gussets down the side to try and increase the strength. It is going to twist and bend and bow. My guess is if you apply any Force during the splitting process that your end plate will either band quickly or break right off and your top plate will also begin to bend up and ripple.

I hate to be honest. Looking at the pictures of your splitter I can honestly say it is one of the most poorly constructed log splitters I've ever seen on the internet. It has nothing to do with the effort you put forward, but poor quality welds with lack of penetration. Most if not all of your welds are substandard even for backyard hillbilly work.. The beam you chose is probably the worst kind of beam you could choose and that is the reason you were trying to weld in gussets down the side to try and increase the strength. It is going to twist and bend and bow. My guess is if you apply any Force during the splitting process that your end plate will either band quickly or break right off and your top plate will also begin to bend up and ripple.
:wtf: Really??? Post up a pic of one of your builds.

There's always one that had piss in his Wheaties.:ices_rofl:

Back