Another Dead Red Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like to run the Fiskars with my rounds on the ground, and I couldn't lift these rounds.

I know what you mean regarding sticking the Fiskars nice sharp edge in the frozen ground.:cry:

However as long as you don't have a lot of rock/stone in the ground I can live with the risk. Getting nicks in the edge are just the price of admission to splitting wood much like cutting up the dirt laden skidded logs I deal with and chainsaw chains.

I bought the Fiskars sharpening tools and it works pretty good and in less than a min. you can get the edge back.
http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-a...ts-and-Tool-Care/Blade-Sharpener#.UrWSNnTnZok

I've got one of those, and they work great to touch up the edge, but I haven't been as successful with a nick. And, on this hilltop there is a rock under every errant tool strike, ax, maul, chain, shovel, you name it.

Got really warm today, melting our snow cover, still got out to do some more splitting, this time with my buddyWranglers.JPG

Decided to just add on to this old thread rather than start a new one.
Hey guys, still here in the woods of northern Chester County, still thinning the dead Red Oaks, and still working with my one and only support team.

Today, I decided to tackle this old dead Red that had an unusual kink in the trunk. Made it less obvious which way it really wanted to fall. The top was heavy in the direction I wanted it to go, but the trunk started in the opposite direction. Anyway, here is a quick inspection video:

And, here is the felling video. I opened an extra large and deep face cut to ensure my direction, then back cut to where I was going to stop and apply wedge. Just as I dropped off the trigger, I noticed my back cut opening up, so I backed away and let it go. Too late for wedges. Caught one of the large branches on a live tree, snapped it off, and in the end, flung a small branch all the way to the GoPro.

Ultimately, it landed perfectly for me to work it up, right along one of my cart and arch paths. As always, Scout observes the fells from a safe distance, but joins in on the homage we pay to a tree that grew for 80+ years, stood dead for about 5 years, and took about 3 minutes to cut down. The Dolmar 6100 with 20" bar made short work of it, even though I had to cut from each side to get through it.

IMG_9230.JPG

The amazing thing is, the camera never seems close enough for a really good video, yet, always too close for flying debris...

This morning I got back out there and after my assistant stepped off the length of the log:
Note, this picture pretty clearly shows the kink in the log (that is sawdust from me cutting up branches that laid over the log, not cuts yet)

IMG_9232.JPG

I finished bucking into 18" lengths, and of course the inspector had to verify all rounds were within tolerances:

IMG_9245.JPG

Now the bull work begins, I still split by hand, with a fiskars, and to be honest, this old dead Red Oak splits pretty easy:

IMG_9243.JPG

Another nice sunny, and brisk day in the woods with Scout.

Nice job. My only suggestion is get you a hard hat to wear while you're out there dealing with those dead oaks. They can drop a big limb out on you easily.
Yes, I'm laid up right now with a couple fractured vertebrae from a dead fall hitting me square on the head, culling gypsy mother oak, came from a tree adjacent to one I dropped, didn't see it was already broke and hanging up. If I didn't have a helet on Dr said I'd probably be dead...just my 2 cents

I've got one of those, and they work great to touch up the edge, but I haven't been as successful with a nick. And, on this hilltop there is a rock under every errant tool strike, ax, maul, chain, shovel, you name it.

Got really warm today, melting our snow cover, still got out

File works alot better for those nicks, that tool is more of a hone to sharpen. I use a round Arkansas stone to touch up the edge, does the same thing..

Yes, I'm laid up right now with a couple fractured vertebrae from a dead fall hitting me square on the head, culling gypsy mother oak, came from a tree adjacent to one I dropped, didn't see it was already broke and hanging up. If I didn't have a helet on Dr said I'd probably be dead...just my 2 cents
Well glad you had the helmet!

Decided to just add on to this old thread rather than start a new one.
Hey guys, still here in the woods of northern Chester County, still thinning the dead Red Oaks, and still working with my one and only support team.

Today, I decided to tackle this old dead Red that had an unusual kink in the trunk. Made it less obvious which way it really wanted to fall. The top was heavy in the direction I wanted it to go, but the trunk started in the opposite direction. Anyway, here is a quick inspection video:

And, here is the felling video. I opened an extra large and deep face cut to ensure my direction, then back cut to where I was going to stop and apply wedge. Just as I dropped off the trigger, I noticed my back cut opening up, so I backed away and let it go. Too late for wedges. Caught one of the large branches on a live tree, snapped it off, and in the end, flung a small branch all the way to the GoPro.

Ultimately, it landed perfectly for me to work it up, right along one of my cart and arch paths. As always, Scout observes the fells from a safe distance, but joins in on the homage we pay to a tree that grew for 80+ years, stood dead for about 5 years, and took about 3 minutes to cut down. The Dolmar 6100 with 20" bar made short work of it, even though I had to cut from each side to get through it.

View attachment 544673

Its really cool to see how you have improved since the first video. You look a lot more confident and smooth. And you have a helmet. I would have gone farther from the tree, but that is just me. Having another one between it and you is enough, but nothing beats distance.

Looks Good! Another oak to the pile is a plus.. Funny how those twist like that. Most of the time I judge the fall by the top and and the base of the trunk, anything in between really don't seem to count that much. I still like the use of a wedge on most trees seems like one can never be to careful in the woods when you are alone. Anytime you can fall a tree and walk away from it is a good job. One can never be too safe.. Great pictures, like the location..

Hey guys, took some time off for some skiing, but back to work this week. This big old Red Oak is over 100 years old. It's been standing here dead for a couple years, waiting for me to get to it. Yesterday was the day.

Kind of a long video, this old oak was hard, about 32" DBH, and I probably need to touch up my chain

There wasn't a clear path to the ground, so it rattled a little off some neighbor trees on the way down. That's why I hadn't tackled it before, but I picked the best route, and let it roll.

My son was off work, and spent some time with me. Hence a photographer for an after action shot:

Dude 2.jpg

IMG_9428.JPG

Even more rewarding, we took a lunch break for some doggies over the firepit:

IMG_9425.JPG

Looks like rain today, only got part of it split up, might have just sat by the fire a little too long:

IMG_9429.JPG

Latest posts

Back